Marans eggs on ebay....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That was my first response, too... "Not as described..." but they DID have the caveat in there about them being lighter, so they are somewhat justified there. Perhaps just "very disappointed in the light color of the eggs" would suffice. It will be interesting to see if/how these develop, and what the chicks look like. I hope you'll keep us posted.
smile.png

Edited to add: was there really a crack in the one egg that looked "superglued"?

Last edited:
To clarify, this seller is the VP of MOAC?

I'd be asking for a prompt refund and also suggest that they add your post link to their future auctions to show what you get if you buy their eggs if they can't show an honest representation themselves.

Ya know what, I think I'd be re listing them on eBay saying this is what you get from that seller.

Hey Krys109uk I'd love to buy some eggs from you just to be certain the colour is still passable in person
wink.png

That was my first response, too... "Not as described..." but they DID have the caveat in there about them being lighter, so they are somewhat justified there.

This is what was written

" THE LAST PICTURE IS FROM (9/9/09)"

"THIS IS THERE 9TH MONTH AND GETTING NEAR THE END OF THEIR LAYING CYCLE. THESE EGGS ARE FROM THE SAME HENS THAT LAID THE SUPER DARK ONES IN THE PICS ABOVE. YOU WILL HAVE CHICKS THAT CARRY ALL THIS IN THEIR DNA."

I do not believe it possible that the hens which laid the very dark eggs in the photos of the advert were the same hens that laid the eggs which were sent to the buyer. Most especially if the last photo was taken only one month ago.

I've been breeding Marans for about 10 years.....I have never seen anything like such an incredible change in egg colour between start & end of season. I do not believe it happens, therefore, IMO, it is deception.

Those eggs look like my project eggs which have involved an outcross to a non dark egg breed.

Frankly the male in the second photo has poor type. It was very upright & looked rather more like a brown red araucana (UK) in type.
tongue.png

IMO it is very poor form for the vendor to be using their position with a supposedly reputable club in order to further their own purposes.​

Hey Krys109uk I'd love to buy some eggs from you just to be certain the colour is still passable in person

LOL....that's very kind of you.
smile.png

I don't sell eggs or birds. Frankly, my birds have generally nice eggs & nice type.....(a lot nicer than the hideous male in that photo). But my Marans' genes are a bit messed up (I know who is carrying what; I play too much). Anyway, I'd hate to anyone to have something which wasn't what it was supposed to be.
hmm.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Wow. That was my first response, too... "Not as described..." but they DID have the caveat in there about them being lighter, so they are somewhat justified there. Perhaps just "very disappointed in the light color of the eggs" would suffice. It will be interesting to see if/how these develop, and what the chicks look like. I hope you'll keep us posted.
smile.png

Edited to add: was there really a crack in the one egg that looked "superglued"?

Yes, a HUGE crack, just about all the way around the egg too.. I've attached a pic here. I can't say for sure it was glued but there is still a shiny stickiness to it. Guess it could be from the crushed egg or the cracks themselves.
hu.gif

OK, i'll warn you the color on this pic is really bad. I didn't want to take out the tripod to get a better coloring but you can clearly see the crack(s).
31148_dsc_0529.jpg

I used my regular camera this time (not my cell phone camera from earlier). here the the two pics side by side, eggs are in the bottom two rows of the second pic.

chickenherder - yes, if you go to the MOAC webpage and click on about us, you'll see her listed there as the VP, you will also find a pic of her eggs on their site showing them as an example of an '8' on the marans scale. I like your idea of relisting them and the post idea.
tongue2.gif

thanks for all the suggestions on how to reply, keep em coming! I will talk to DH when he gets home and we will figure out how to reply.

I think I will start a post on this incubation, I don't want to highjack shelley's thread.
wink.png

Perhaps it's possible that the lady didn't intend to mislead. Perhaps if you sent an ebay message to the lady, telling her you are dissatisfied & why, she may refund your money.
It might be worth pointing out that the French Marans website (if you can find it) states the shell colour does get a lighter after being in lay for a few weeks ,but goes on to say that any marans egg should not get lighter than a 4.

Just my 2cents...

If I were to receive those eggs, I would be complaining to the buyer and to Ebay, possibly paypal as well. Those eggs are no darker than eggs you purchase from the grocery store.

But, knowing how Marans people can be, I'm doubtful you'll get a refund, but instead be "black-listed" amongst the seller and her inner group.

Quote:
This is what was written

" THE LAST PICTURE IS FROM (9/9/09)"

"THIS IS THERE 9TH MONTH AND GETTING NEAR THE END OF THEIR LAYING CYCLE. THESE EGGS ARE FROM THE SAME HENS THAT LAID THE SUPER DARK ONES IN THE PICS ABOVE. YOU WILL HAVE CHICKS THAT CARRY ALL THIS IN THEIR DNA."

I do not believe it possible that the hens which laid the very dark eggs in the photos of the advert were the same hens that laid the eggs which were sent to the buyer. Most especially if the last photo was taken only one month ago.

I've been breeding Marans for about 10 years.....I have never seen anything like such an incredible change in egg colour between start & end of season. I do not believe it happens, therefore, IMO, it is deception.

Those eggs look like my project eggs which have involved an outcross to a non dark egg breed.

Frankly the male in the second photo has poor type. It was very upright & looked rather more like a brown red araucana (UK) in type.
tongue.png

IMO it is very poor form for the vendor to be using their position with a supposedly reputable club in order to further their own purposes.

Oh, I agree with you 100%, Krys... but it IS in there, and weak as it is, Ebay would probably say that she warned potential buyers. Anyone without any experience with Marans eggs would probably think the same thing. I'm not arguing that it's poor form, just that only someone with experience with these birds would know enough to call her on it and complain.
If it were me, I would try to resolve it with the seller first. Just my 2¢.
smile.png

but it IS in there, and weak as it is, Ebay would probably say that she warned potential buyers.

I agree with you. Probably the only way it could be resolved, would be if it could be done amicably with the vendor prior to leaving feedback or anything else. If the vendor is honourable, she will address the matter in a professional manner. Unfair a it might be, I doubt Ebay or Paypal would force a refund.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom