1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans experts, I need help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irf1983, Dec 8, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    A few months ago, I bought what were supposedly 3 cuckoo marans hens off craigslist. As it turns out, one was a roo, one was deformed and had to be put down. The third one is healthy, but is a giant. It lacks the tail feathers the other roo had, but its got a big comb and wattle, and is twice the size of some of my smaller breeds. I have yet to get any marans eggs. Are marans always so big? Is this a marans at all? I'm beginning to think I've been bamboozled. The bird in question is the light gray one in the dirt, only now its bigger with larger comb at wattle. Thanks! I'll try to get a better pic tonight.

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You may want to post this in the What Breed/Gender section and I bet you'd get more responses there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by