Marans.....not sure of variety

jackdragbean

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I have a quad of marans. Really trying to find out what variety they are. Slate legs, feathered shanks, 5-8 egg color. Beautiful birds. Any help would be appreciated.

I am no chicken expert, but they look more like welsummers to me. They can lay dark eggs as well. Not my pic, one I looked up online. My willies are only about 6-8 weeks old.

They aren't Welsummers. Ive owned them before. Different eggs, legs, and actually different type of feathering on the breast of the hens and the rooster. Marans eggs tend to be smaller than my Wellies were. The egg color isnt painted on like my marans are (in welsummer eggs vs these birds and my other marans). I really do appreciate the comments. The chicks look like a RIR with stripes. Saw them but don't have them. It's why I suggested possibility of Golden salmon but the roo is nothing like a golden salmon roo as far as breast color plus a little more brown undercarriage.

I am aware that the chicks fo have a welsummer look bit so do golden salmon marans as do the black tail buffs. Ive thought about welsummer marans cross but the person I got these from never owned welsummers. Im at a loss. I love the colors on them but would like to know if marans have some recessive alleles that could cause this.

Back
Top Bottom