Marans? Please Help ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JScatt69, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JScatt69

JScatt69 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Hello!
    I hatched what I was told were Black Copper Marans, but I am thinking a Maran mix of some sort. Perhaps BCM and Cuckoo Maran mix?
    Three of four chicks have feathered legs and all have white tips on the wings. What are these little guys?
    Thanks!!

J[​IMG]

2. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:They look like BCMs to me. I don't have enough experience with cuckoos but just because they have white down doesn't mean they're not BCM chicks. BCMs do have white down though I typically prefer them to have a little less than that one little guy givin the stink eye [​IMG] Pretty sure you're fine. But I'm no expert by any means

3. JScatt69

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    They all pretty much have the same amount of white...besides ol' stink eye LOL. The feathered legs would be a French type?

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Marans babies..cute.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  5. AyeUpChuck

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    So it's Marans with an s even when singular as they're named after the port town Marans in France. They all originate from France. There are just different breeding standards. The English breed for clean legs. The French standard is for feathered shank. The American standard I believe is also feathered because they modeled the French standard as that's where the breed originated. There and sometimes clean or light feathered shanks can be useful in breeding when you have one that's "overly" feathered in the shanks. You should come check out the Marans thread. Theres so much knowledge. It's really laid back and fun.

Aside from all that it's just about loving and enjoying your birds! I love my Marans and wouldn't trade em for the world!

6. AyeUpChuck

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    If you don't mind my asking, what color were the eggs you hatched them out of?

7. JScatt69

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:The eggs were very dark brown and very large. The size and color of the eggs is what has attracted me to this breed.
    And thank you for the Marans info! So the plural of Marans is Maranses...LOL

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by