Marans? Please Help ID

JScatt69

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Hello!
I hatched what I was told were Black Copper Marans, but I am thinking a Maran mix of some sort. Perhaps BCM and Cuckoo Maran mix?
Three of four chicks have feathered legs and all have white tips on the wings. What are these little guys?
Thanks!!

J
50091_chicks.jpg

Quote:
They look like BCMs to me. I don't have enough experience with cuckoos but just because they have white down doesn't mean they're not BCM chicks. BCMs do have white down though I typically prefer them to have a little less than that one little guy givin the stink eye
gig.gif
Pretty sure you're fine. But I'm no expert by any means

They all pretty much have the same amount of white...besides ol' stink eye LOL. The feathered legs would be a French type?

So it's Marans with an s even when singular as they're named after the port town Marans in France. They all originate from France. There are just different breeding standards. The English breed for clean legs. The French standard is for feathered shank. The American standard I believe is also feathered because they modeled the French standard as that's where the breed originated. There and sometimes clean or light feathered shanks can be useful in breeding when you have one that's "overly" feathered in the shanks. You should come check out the Marans thread. Theres so much knowledge. It's really laid back and fun.

Aside from all that it's just about loving and enjoying your birds! I love my Marans and wouldn't trade em for the world!

Quote:
The eggs were very dark brown and very large. The size and color of the eggs is what has attracted me to this breed.
And thank you for the Marans info! So the plural of Marans is Maranses...LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom