Marans roo with funky tail

cutiepieacres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
S. CA
Not sure where to post this but,

I have this little rooster that came in a batch of shipped eggs he is around 3 months old. Whe he was a few days old I noticed he didnt have a tail like the others. They were starting to "spout" tails and he didnt. Even after a few weeks he didnt really have a tail. I figured eventually it would grow in but it never really has instead he has curled under feathers and looks much like the "rumpless" types of chickens. The thing is his bottom doesnt stay clean because of this, I have washed and trimmed back there sevral times hoping it would stay clean but it hasnt.

I am not sure if it genetic or if he was just born different. I am not keeping him but I am just wondering what it might have been caused by, the other 4 in the hatch were normal, though 3 of those were roosters!

Last edited:
I know of someone that hatched a French Copper Black Marans that is rumpless. The eggs were from a very good line, too. I think it just happens now & then.

I forgot to mention he is a Cuckoo Marans, not sure that it makes a huge dfference.

The thing with him that concerns me is that he is such a mess all the time and I am not sure how comfortable or healthy that is for him. I have had rumpless EE type chickens before but they stayed clean.

Holy smoke!!!!

I had a BCM hen that was rumpless. She had other problems that forced me to cull her but she had no tail feathers at all when her clutch mates had 2 inch tails.

I thought it was just due to her "other problems".

Back
Top Bottom