Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Thank you Don. So by what Elisha is saying about the chicks she has that are from my current breeding pen, sounds like she got the generation of chicks in which you speak of with more color? I know which hens and luckily still have all of them that produced them when paired with Lil' Bill, so sounds like I should do one test hatch from those birds again once I have extra eggs to see what I might get. Trying to keep my #'s low before selling and moving is going to be so hard, I can see it now.

Here is that BCM male.......he has the lightest leg color here but I suspect that you are referring to even lighter, aren't you?

Thank you Don. So by what Elisha is saying about the chicks she has that are from my current breeding pen, sounds like she got the generation of chicks in which you speak of with more color? I know which hens and luckily still have all of them that produced them when paired with Lil' Bill, so sounds like I should do one test hatch from those birds again once I have extra eggs to see what I might get. Trying to keep my #'s low before selling and moving is going to be so hard, I can see it now.
Here is that BCM male.......he has the lightest leg color here but I suspect that you are referring to even lighter, aren't you?
Kim, I culled all of the lighter leg Marans two year ago as I thought the the rewards were not worth all the culls involved. I like the color of leg on this male. The light leg acceptance by Marans group was added at the last minute, I want none of it here.

Took some pictures out in the rain... needless to say they would not get close to me with a camera lol and the lighting seems a little off- but you can still see what I mean... he is lighter blue in person. (some pictures he's a little "puffed" up because he was scared of the umbrella lol)

Black pullet showing copper - awful pic but you can see it. The blue butt here is the rooster shown above. Lighting outside is terrible today....

Last edited:
Took some pictures out in the rain... needless to say they would not get close to me with a camera lol and the lighting seems a little off- but you can still see what I mean... he is lighter blue in person. (some pictures he's a little "puffed" up because he was scared of the umbrella lol)

Black pullet showing copper - awful pic but you can see it. The blue butt here is the rooster shown above. Lighting outside is terrible today.... 

OMG! Just beautiul!

Don~
Here is that Blue Copper male you liked....he is the one that has the stubs on middle toe.
How do you like him now? He is tooooooooo dark for me and is not showing one stitch of copper at approx. 8 mos.old. I believe I won't be using him as I think he will add to the darkness problem I already have.
Thoughts???
I like your boy Pink! I have a hen here who would love him
wink.png

Hello Everyone
I haven't posted for a really long time but have been on the Marans Forum from time to time over the years. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum would like to take a look at my young 7 month old French Black Copper Marans rooster, Oscar, and give me any comments regarding possible faults or DQs. He comes from Cottage Hill lines from James Meeks breedings. IMHO he stacks up pretty well against the French standard, at least as far as I can tell. There are no side sprigs on his comb (I wish it were a bit smaller and perhaps 1 or 2 points less), short toes, squirrel tails or white feathers. He has nice shank feathering I think and it looks to me like his coloring is correct. Please forgive the lack of hackle feather on the back of his neck, I think one of the hens gave him what-for and yanked some out as there is a definite "bald spot" where they should be. I've tried to get a nice standing picture of him to overlay the silhouette of the 45 degree angle of the perfect Marans, I think he's pretty close. I'm interested to know your thoughts!

Thanks, Lisa

Last edited:
Hello Everyone
I haven't posted for a really long time but have been on the Marans Forum from time to time over the years. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum would like to take a look at my young 7 month old French Black Copper Marans rooster, Oscar, and give me any comments regarding possible faults or DQs. He comes from Cottage Hill lines from James Meeks breedings. IMHO he stacks up pretty well against the French standard, at least as far as I can tell. There are no side sprigs on his comb (I wish it were a bit smaller and perhaps 1 or 2 points less), short toes, squirrel tails or white feathers. He has nice shank feathering I think and it looks to me like his coloring is correct. Please forgive the lack of hackle feather on the back of his neck, I think one of the hens gave him what-for and yanked some out as there is a definite "bald spot" where they should be. I've tried to get a nice standing picture of him to overlay the silhouette of the 45 degree angle of the perfect Marans, I think he's pretty close. I'm interested to know your thoughts!

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa, MY line of BC were semilar to this male and look almost like your male. The last pictures look really good. The shank and toe color looks just about right also. The Hackle is a little blended but that goes along with having this line of Marans. One of the best lines to work with in my opinion.

For a young Marans looks to have a lot of good things going on. How about another picture around the end of October.

Back
Top Bottom