Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

OH PINK, OOOOOOHHHHHH PINK???????????

Guess who I found in the nest box today???? Laying her first EGG??????????

Your pretty laced girl laid an egg for me today! I will get you a picture. I do think it is her first, but it was not small really. It was lighter in color than my hens, but for a first egg it was a GOOD color. I don't think I have gotten an egg that light before now so that is why I think it is her first egg. I think I am going to try to hatch it.... she is with your Darker Blue Roo right now. I might get a splash ..... hehehe... never had pens set up for splash babies.

frow.gif
Good Evening Marans Folks!

OMG! Just beautiul!

For a young Marans looks to have a lot of good things going on. How about another picture around the end of October.

Thank you Raven & Snowbird for your kind words (and thank you pink for a handsome little thing lol). For a young bird (who happens to be penned next to larger full grown birds) he really seems to have lots of presence. His body seems to be very balanced and he just has a stance about him that is impressive. Very grown up for such a little thing- even crows all day long and has started chasing the pullets! I wish he was friendlier towards people- but I am working on that. I hand feed my young birds and bribe most all with treats daily, but he barely comes over to me. He just stands there all puffed up (on the neck) and on alert. I have yet to have an aggressive bird in my flock and hope that his testosterone doesn't get too out of control
big_smile.png

I'm going to try to set some marans eggs in a couple of more weeks, but all my birds are molting... I may be out of luck! I collected 7 eggs today from over 30 hens. I can't remember the last time I saw a marans egg at my place
hmm.png
It looks like some one has had a giant pillow fight in my coops!

I'm going to try to set some marans eggs in a couple of more weeks, but all my birds are molting... I may be out of luck! I collected 7 eggs today from over 30 hens. I can't remember the last time I saw a marans egg at my place
hmm.png

I've been collecting all my feathers - I plan on making a feather wreath
big_smile.png
My husband thinks I am crazy...... lol I just love the variety of feathers I have out there.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Don! I like how he's turning out. It will be interesting to see how he develops in the next year but I think I will be keeping him as my current flock rooster. Here is a shot of him from the front, I like the width of him as well as his general shape. I've also included a shot of the only pullet I have from this hatch, she's pretty nice too I think and has just started to lay a nice dark egg, if not a 7, close to it.

Regards, Lisa

Last edited:
hmm.png
Ditto here!

My Splash pen scared me last night when I went to feed! As I came around the corner all I couldsee was feathers! I thought something had gotten in and got them, but no just molting! How can they not be naked.:lol:

Thanks for the comments Don! I like how he's turning out. It will be interesting to see how he develops in the next year but I think I will be keeping him as my current flock rooster. Here is a shot of him from the front, I like the width of him as well as his general shape. I've also included a shot of the only pullet I have from this hatch, she's pretty nice too I think and has just started to lay a nice dark egg, if not a 7, close to it.

Regards, Lisa

:love

Back
Top Bottom