Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Interesting on the blood meat spots... I seem to notice it more in fall.. Either molt or when supplemental lights go on... I tend to just try and delay molt by doing maintaining 12 hours light after the equinox until December..

Yep it is the only flaw I can think of in an otherwise superior egg... The Marans egg that is...
big_smile.png

PINK......
wee.gif

It has been some time indeed...

Yes our boys are very similar...What I like about yours and mine for that matter is the proportion of the comb to the head size, many Marans I see seem to either have too big of a comb or too small of a head... Your birds seem to have some real heft to them also..

Me thinks that when the day comes to bring in some new blood, it will be from your birds.... I forget, if the origins are from the same line?? They seem to have similarities. I would not mind a chat about what your challenges have been, strengths and weaknesses you see and so forth... You are much more in tune with this stuff than I ..I am just someone with a few chickens I happen to think are really cool and would like to see the BBS Marans shine bright as a clean line without copper creeping in... A personal goal is to keep them hefty too.. Nice plump little butterballs... Though I have not selected for size, actually just the opposite my darkest egg layer was tiny, unfortunately a Fisher had her for dinner.... (Out of all the other chickens I would have not minded loosing, of course one looses the most cherished....)

Last edited:
Where can one find this book by Morley Jull ? I would love to know what Morley says concerning the light process(?) . Snowbird Thank You for this info

I've never used lights , just never needed them or thought it the thing to do . I know the 'word/answer' around egg laying is allways centered around 'light' ..... i have older hens laying right now(Marans)in the winter , cold and rain , they layed all year round (not like a White Leghorn)but like a marans(smile). A big part of the reason for this is what they are Fed(daily) , i've seen this over and over for 59 years .
Yes there is always exceptions such as moult .

I am not one that subscribes to the mass raise theory , i think with quality bloodlines and good selection there is no reason for a big surplus of birds . The mass producers are using a shotgun approach , which if it works i'm happy for them .
Nothing can surpass Single Mating and/or trap nesting .... line breeding is essential(and inbreeding)also wing banding . No out crossing except in a planned circumstance . Also important is leg bands , wing bands , Toe Punch and Toe marking , keeping record and notes /books .
To many questionable birds would make this almost impossible especially if you are the only chicken person .
Sorry I have no response to eggs with spots .... thank goodness i've never had this .

Lisa, I have to admit that I myself do not at present know what is up with the blood spots and I do believe it is worth investigation and see if we can pin point the problem. I have not started the id. part with the females but plans are in the works to begin shortly. The only way I know to id. the females is to # all eggs and break and see if there is blood. Once a female is considered clean then hatch some eggs and grow them out and and test the young when they start to lay.

I never used artificial lights on the Marans I was collecting eggs for hatching so that would rule out the lights. In the Poultry breeding book by Morley Jull he explains what happens in the process.

Where can one find this book by Morley Jull ? I would love to know what Morley says concerning the light process(?) . Snowbird Thank You for this info
I've never used lights , just never needed them or thought it the thing to do . I know the 'word/answer' around egg laying is allways centered around 'light' ..... i have older hens laying right now(Marans)in the winter , cold and rain , they layed all year round (not like a White Leghorn)but like a marans(smile). A big part of the reason for this is what they are Fed(daily) , i've seen this over and over for 59 years .
Yes there is always exceptions such as moult .
I am not one that subscribes to the mass raise theory , i think with quality bloodlines and good selection there is no reason for a big surplus of birds . The mass producers are using a shotgun approach , which if it works i'm happy for them .
Nothing can surpass Single Mating and/or trap nesting .... line breeding is essential(and inbreeding)also wing banding . No out crossing except in a planned circumstance . Also important is leg bands , wing bands , Toe Punch and Toe marking , keeping record and notes /books .
To many questionable birds would make this almost impossible especially if you are the only chicken person .
Sorry I have no response to eggs with spots .... thank goodness i've never had this .
The article I was bringing up is about the Blood Spots. The book is Poultry Breeding by Morley Jull and the cheapest and best place to get is abebooks.com

We have a LOT of raccoon in this area. I use live traps baited with plain sardines in oil. I works great most of the time. I have treated a few wondering tomcats to fish dinner but it is worth it to catch the raccoons. In warm weather, I have caught them with spring traps baited with foil wrapped on the trigger submerged in shallow water. I know the spring traps are pretty cruel but I have witnessed how they (raccoons) treat chickens too many times.
Thanks I will try that next. I've tried canned catfood but it didn't work. The only thing I ever seem to get in my traps around here are possums and housecats lol.

My week old "blue birchen" Marans complete with colored leg bands so I can figure out the shade differences and what it means when they get bigger... :)

I posted them in the birchen thread, but who doesn't love pictures of cute chicks right?

Also opinions on whether or not they are cockerels or pullets are encouraged!! I have my opinion already but want to hear yours!

Red

Yellow

Brown

Green

Blue

Orange (my fav)

Purple

Hi all,
I have BCM's that I got from green fire a few years back and I love them, but I am looking to start a project and am in need of some very dark egg laying cucko marans, can anyone point me in the right direction

Hi all,
I have BCM's that I got from green fire a few years back and I love them, but I am looking to start a project and am in need of some very dark egg laying cucko marans, can anyone point me in the right direction

lau.gif
Who isn't
lau.gif
Can you be a little more specific? Do you want nice type feathered legs or do you just care that they are Cuckoo with Dark eggs?

Back
Top Bottom