Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

A friend of mine who shows quite a bit told me there were a lot of Marans at the Newman, Georgia show recently. I thought he said 400...can that be right? Anyway, his comment to me was that the type and color of the birds shown were all over the place and he felt that a lot of the birds did not look like they were kept as show birds, more like they were just in someone's back yard flock that they grabbed and took to the show. I thought that was interesting. When I took mine to the show here last fall, my cockerel was the only Marans shown, and there were none at the smaller Safford, AZ show in Jan.
There are quite a few Marans being shown in Texas. Most of the shows that we have been to this season have had close to 100 Marans and over. There are usually quite a few Black Coppers, Wheatens, Blacks, Copper Blues, and Whites at the shows here. There are usually some Blue Wheatens, Blues, and Cuckoos. Once in a while, there are a few Splashes, Black Tailed Buffs, and some of the other varieties at the shows here. We will be showing at the South Texas State Fair later this month. The man who is in charge of that show called and said that they already have over 120 Marans entered there. When we started showing Marans, there were usually 25-35 Marans entered representing different varieties. It is great to see our breed represented by so many birds at the shows. Showing where there is competition allows us to evaluate our birds compared to other breeders' birds.

There were 200+ Marans entered in the Newnan show. Not all of them showed up, but most of them did. I saw the numbers on the Marans USA group's site, but cannot remember exactly how many were exhibited. We were there and as with any show, there were some Marans that were not as nice as others. We have shown Marans for the last three years and I am really pleased with the improvements that the breed has made in those three years. The judges always comment on the improvements that have been made within the breed in the short time that they have been showing. We are not perfect, but we are so much better than we were three years ago.

There were some varieties that were a little scattered in type. Most of those were in the varieties that are being worked with. The Newnan show was the Pre-Qualifying Meet for the Cuckoos. The idea was to get as many Cuckoos together in one place to see where we were.There was 38 or 39 Cuckoos there. The Cuckoos that were there were pretty scattered in color and type. It was decided there that we would keep working with the Cuckoos instead of trying to have a Qualifying Meet this year for them.

The Black Coppers, Wheatens, Blacks, and Whites were pretty uniform in type. The competition ran deep in those varieties. We have nice White Marans, but they were a little on the dirty side at the show. They had spent 30+ hours in the coops on our trailer when we unloaded them. Due to the weather and the facilities there, we decided not to try to wash them there. The Best of Variety Wheaten and the Best of Variety Black Copper both moved on to be Best and Reserve Best of Breed. After that, they both moved on to be Best Continental and Reserve Best Coninental.

There weren't as many Blues, Copper Blues, Black Birchens, and Blue Wheatens there but the ones that were there were nice for the most part. As with any show, there were birds there that did not meet the Standards.

Shows are a learning experience for new exhibitors. The first poultry show that we ever showed in was the first poultry show that we had ever attended. Maybe not the best game-plan, but it is the way we chose to learn about showing poultry. We had shown cattle, rabbits, and goats for years. We knew how to read Standards. We selected our birds for the show based on what we had read. We were fortunate to have good Marans and had a great show. Our chickens placed well at that show and we learned more than we could have ever learned reading Standards.

There were other people there who are on this forum. Maybe they can give you a better number as to how many Marans were there and which varieties were represted.

Regards,
Ernie Haire
Marans2XL

A friend of mine who shows quite a bit told me there were a lot of Marans at the Newman, Georgia show recently. I thought he said 400...can that be right? Anyway, his comment to me was that the type and color of the birds shown were all over the place and he felt that a lot of the birds did not look like they were kept as show birds, more like they were just in someone's back yard flock that they grabbed and took to the show. I thought that was interesting. When I took mine to the show here last fall, my cockerel was the only Marans shown, and there were none at the smaller Safford, AZ show in Jan.

Well Marcy I hope I am able to give you a little competition next time! Looking forward to trying my hand at showing birds ;-)

Of course!! I DO hope you decide to sell stock or hatching eggs at some point, as I know you've worked really, really hard on what you have, have a fantastic eye, and know how to breed. I guess I am left wondering...who did you get YOUR birds from? Someone willing to share, or not? Please don't get me wrong - I applaud your philosophy, really, I do. Just something to think about. I do think it's pretty crappy that folks would get upset or even angry that you're not selling, I mean holy cow - you explain why, I'm sure. Anyone not respecting that would not be the right one for good stock, anyhow! It's quite a personal decision.
I agree with both of you! I see nothing wrong with you not selling..that is everyone's personal choice! I wouldn't even think an explanation is required..NO one's business is what I personally think! LOL

I've already had folks locally asking me and I'm just not sure I could take that on either. I don't have near the "stock" I'm sure either of you have in #'s or quality...however it's more the aspect of the amount of work it would take to coordinate. I have 4 boys at home 17, 13, 6, & 3! Full-time job that requires late nights...sometimes long hours and travel! I'm new to raising chickens and I do plan on breeding to improve my stock but ... I Sooo hear what you're saying.

Question though...is it expected that like say studding out a horse...do BYC folks do that with any of their roo's? Interesting concept...so thought I'd ask. I know my neighbor wanted a few of the chicks I had purchased, she didn't want any Roo's and I did. So told her I would gladly buy them back or trade if either of them were roos (or both).. Well, she's changed her mind and says he's just too sweet...@ 4 months and decided to keep him...I ended up with only 2 roos to add to my BCM stock and recently 1 of those were killed. So now I only have 1...so I thought...well maybe if he's of good type/color and better than the one I have I could ask her to use him for atleast breeding to see what he throws.

Well Marcy I hope I am able to give you a little competition next time! Looking forward to trying my hand at showing birds ;-)

That's great! I hope to see you at the shows. Our local poultry club is having a Lawn Show March 23 (not a sanctioned show) and another show May 11, I think this one will be sanctioned.

Question though...is it expected that like say studding out a horse...do BYC folks do that with any of their roo's? Interesting concept...so thought I'd ask.
Interesting to be sure. I think with chickens, they are SO much less expensive to raise up & maintain than horses (I have horses, have shown, and have had bred mares, though no stud on my farm), if it's done, it's not done very much. I actually have thought about "sharing" a male, and did have someone that was mildly interested in this, but that's a different thing from "stud service."

Question though...is it expected that like say studding out a horse...do BYC folks do that with any of their roo's? Interesting concept...so thought I'd ask. I know my neighbor wanted a few of the chicks I had purchased, she didn't want any Roo's and I did. So told her I would gladly buy them back or trade if either of them were roos (or both).. Well, she's changed her mind and says he's just too sweet...@ 4 months and decided to keep him...I ended up with only 2 roos to add to my BCM stock and recently 1 of those were killed. So now I only have 1...so I thought...well maybe if he's of good type/color and better than the one I have I could ask her to use him for atleast breeding to see what he throws.

I don't hear about people doing this. I think the main issue would be bringing some disease back to your flock. If you are confident your neighbor's birds are disease free, especially no ectoparasites, then I don't see why not.

I have five beautiful Black copper Marans Roosters. Sadly I need to get rid of them. I don't want to have to put them in the pot as they are great breeding stock. I have tried to sell them on Craigslist but not luck. What other options do I have besides the killing cone?

I have five beautiful Black copper Marans Roosters. Sadly I need to get rid of them. I don't want to have to put them in the pot as they are great breeding stock. I have tried to sell them on Craigslist but not luck. What other options do I have besides the killing cone?
Hi, Mike - honestly, there are very few really nice quality breeding males around...if you would post some pics here, maybe someone near you would be interested?

Question for you..I have bcm and cuckoo marans in the incubator with some other eggs...when they hatch do they look the same or will they differ?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom