Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

let me see if I can pull up a Marans pullets sorry not the best pics

Last edited:
Good
they don't look like any Marans I have breed. Marans shouldn't have copper on their breast....just the hackles and she has none to speak of there. I cull pullets with copper on the breast.
info thanks
What color are the soles of BCM feet ? Sorry learning.

Good
they don't look like any Marans I have breed. Marans shouldn't have copper on their breast....just the hackles and she has none to speak of there. I cull pullets with copper on the breast.
info thanks
What color are the soles of BCM feet ? Sorry learning.

white. the cross that makes BSL would be yellow. yellow in Marans is a cull point too as they have been crossed.

I don't think they are Marans. sex links were my first though. I don't know of any sure fire way to tell...wait for rggs. BSL lay brown eggs Marans should lay dark eggs BUT they can be light brown too if not breed for egg color.

my vote is BSL.

What color is their skin? white or yellow (look at the soles of their feet)
I will check their soles of feet tomorrow. they do have some feathering on legs. their mom was a maran and dad was either maran or arucauna.

and what about the one hens tail? I am ok if they are bsl. I love these gals anyways and got them for eggs! will post photo of "splash" maran as well.

I don't think they are Marans. sex links were my first though. I don't know of any sure fire way to tell...wait for rggs. BSL lay brown eggs Marans should lay dark eggs BUT they can be light brown too if not breed for egg color.

my vote is BSL.

What color is their skin? white or yellow (look at the soles of their feet)

I will check their soles of feet tomorrow. they do have some feathering on legs. their mom was a maran and dad was either maran or arucauna.

my hubby said olive Egger so with more info I would think olive Egger. when I make that cross I get copper down the breast. not from Marans x Marans.

my hubby said olive Egger so with more info I would think olive Egger. when I make that cross I get copper down the breast. not from Marans x Marans.
I am fine with that! I will get brown eggs from my RiR/Cuckoo maran mix. which I thought that mix made a sex link. so a colorful basket! I would love olive eggers since my ee turned out to be a roo and won't get blue eggs from him! haha!

I am fine with that! I will get brown eggs from my RiR/Cuckoo maran mix. which I thought that mix made a sex link. so a colorful basket! I would love olive eggers since my ee turned out to be a roo and won't get blue eggs from him! haha!

RIR roo x Cuckoo hens is a sex link cross but not the other way around.

Quote:
Okay, thank you. The splash & blue are one age and the 2 blacks are younger. So maybe the blacks are boys too and they just haven't 'caught up yet'? Is this breed slow to develop their combs & wattles? Can someone post a pic of an adult hen & roo for me so I can see the difference? What age do you think I should be able to tell at? The blacks are 3 mos old and the splash is 2-4 weeks older than they are. I can't remember what the guy said 3 mos ago, I just remember they were from different 'batches'. And the splash is a lot bigger. Maybe I'll go take another pic of the 3 of them standing together (the blue ran off in the farmer's field and we couldn't find it anywhere, so we're assuming it got eaten by a creature of the night). I'll take one of a close up of their heads too. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom