Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

They aren't damaged or 2 tone. They come up nice like fingers - when they get to let's say the joint below the finger nail, the get narrow then make like a drop or bulb. The other Maran I bought with her doesnt do that.

Hi - I have just acquired my first ever chickens, and most of them are Copper Marans. Lovely birds!!! But now my rooster seems to have very red legs where his leg feathers are growing in. I am wondering if they are irritated by the new feathers or there is something else going on. I don't think it is scaly leg mites - the scales are not raised like the photos I have seen. He was recently treated with Frontline and their coop is brand new (no history of nasty critters). Here are some photos:

I would sure appreciate some advice on this - he is a lovely boy and they look so sore.

On a steep learning curve with my new birds!
Kathryn

How old is this male?

Hormones will make their legs exhibit pink...

This is gonna sound gross, but have you examined his butt?
Look and see if the skin in that area is red too.
I've seen my boys get red in that area when they are really hormonal...

I've seen them get really red when new feathers are coming in too...

Also, look closely at the feathers, the base of the feathers, for small salt and pepper colored specks attached to the feathers. That would indicate mites.

Awww, That is so sweet! I raise Delawares too, BUT have NEVER had one go broody!
Are they good mommas? My BCM are terrible moms. After 3 weeks, they are so OVER the whole mother thing!
Most of my Dels. have gone broody at one time or another. This one, my foundation Mom is broody all the time and is a great Mom! She is 4 years old now.
A few of my BCM's are broody all the time too but I break them up. My foundation breeder hen (all the rest of my pullets/hens are hers or her daughters) is constantly broody and is a terrible Mom, tried once last year, that was enough. Now I just deal with her and hatch her eggs when I can. Two of the chicks in the pic. are hers and she is broody again, trying to breed her back to her son :(

Back
Top Bottom