Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have 2 splash marans and the are very sweet. In fact, we named the one Sweetie because she is to fly into our shoulders from the brooder. Sweetie is more friendly than the other one, Freckles. I would love to have more marans in he future. They do follow me around and are confident in that they do not have to be right with the flock. Great middle-ground temperament for a flock.

I have 9 roosters, and the cuckoo marans is the best I've ever had. Can't hold him, but not aggressive at all. Always lets the girls eat first, will take treats from my hand and drop them for the girls, is the first to call out when a hawk flies over, and 97% fertility :thumbsup

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the Marans breed and plan on getting more in the future.

My Blue Splash Marans, Eperny. She is SO evil! Her favorite activity is to tug my hair
(not to mention that she comes up behind me when I least expect it).

Marseilles, Black Copper Marans. She had complications during shipping as a chick and
we nearly lost her; she was unable to walk well and might have suffered from partial
and temporary blindness. Anyhow, her fascinating eyes have always intrigued me. Does anyone
know what the dark coloration around Marseille's pupils is? I've always wondered.

-Alexandra33

I've really enjoyed the Marans breed and plan on getting more in the future. My Blue Splash Marans, Eperny. She is SO evil! Her favorite activity is to tug my hair (not to mention that she comes up behind me when I least expect it). Marseilles, Black Copper Marans. She had complications during shipping as a chick and we nearly lost her; she was unable to walk well and might have suffered from partial and temporary blindness. Anyhow, her fascinating eyes have always intrigued me. Does anyone know what the dark coloration around Marseille's pupils is? I've always wondered. -Alexandra33
I've noticed the black coppers I have their eyes are deffinately different from all the other breeds we have.

Eperny looks just like my blue Andalusian Daisy.
big_smile.png

How sweet! Daisy must be splash then? You're making me envious....I've always wanted a Blue Andalusian, even though I know blue doesn't breed true.

-Alexandra33
Yes she's a splash. I was have two BA - one blue, one splash both are at the top of the pecking order. They are partners in crime. Always eating together and when they dog comes near they both get in "attack mode". I'll post a picture of Daisy but the pics I have don't do her justice...she really looks just like Eperny (oh & Daisy used to pull my hair too lol)

She's in the front. She has more spots than you can see in either of these pics.

She's in the cage because she was being a bully to the newcomer (the GCM in front)

Back
Top Bottom