Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have a pair of 2 month old marans. They were advertised as cuckoo marans but obviously weren't because they didn't have the white head spots. I suspected that they were most likely black copper but they have feathered out completely black. Are there any good ways to tell the difference between black marans and over melanized black copper marans?

This is my rooster, Daryl. I was told her was a blue cuckoo marans rooster but I see no cuckoo pattern on him. She did mention that he didn't have the right coloring for breeding though and that's why I got him for free. Do you think that's the correct color & breed for him?

Last edited:
This is my rooster, Daryl. I was told her was a blue cuckoo marans rooster but I see no cuckoo pattern on him. She did mention that he didn't have the right coloring for breeding though and that's why I got him for free. Do you think that's the correct color & breed for him?
I agree with redcap. Definitely looks like some kind of blue ameraucana mix.

I was told by his breeder he was a pure marans and I trust her but you're right he doesn't look pure marans. Do you think he's actual ameraucana or easter egger mix?
By the peacomb it's not a marans. I agree with the others that it is most likely an easter egger or olive egger. If the breeder has purebred flocks, that is probably an Am/Marans mix

Last edited:
She has easter eggers, golden cuckoo marans, white marans, blue cuckoo marans, blue andalusians, and salmon faverolles I believe.
Given that list, I would say a blue roo hopped the EE fence
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom