Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

hi all
i have a copper black she is a gem she shines in the sun she is still young as you can tell by her picture
so she will only get better when she molts she is not for show shes a pet like all my girls i would say to anyone get one
because for a heavy breed they lay really well and she gets on well with the others
thumbsup.gif

shell shocked

I've recently delved back into the world of chickens and fell in love with the Marans. I've always been interested in laying hens only but have recently been thinking of having my daughter start showing some chickens. As I move along and familiarize myself with the SOP for Marans varieties, I will figure out what's what. I'm hoping that a few pointers and folks who know the breed well can help steer me in the right direction. One issue with my first gen stock that I've noticed is my Roo's do not have a 5 fingered single comb. Instead they have combs more resembling a rose or pea comb. These are of course supposed to be purebred. When I initially grew these guys out, I only kept those which I thought were pullets, these had very small light combs. But two roo's still got through. So my question is do I cull these guys immediately or do they have other qualities I should consider and breed out the comb issue? Should I go pointing the finger at the breeder who claims they are purebred? Does this comb issue seem to pop up? Like I said I am totally new to the world of showing chickens but am a veteran showing other animals. Thanks and please keep it clean! And working on some photos.

I have been breeding Black Copper Marans For 2 Straight years now on to my 3rd My lines consist of Bev Davis and a direct import line from greenfire farms. I love these birds more and more every year. they are producing very big beautiful healthy chicks and are feathering out to the uk standard very nicely. i recently got some of the wheaten Marans stock from Cackle hatchery to try and see even though im not the biggest fan of a hatchery i think they are doing a great job i stopped and actual got to talk to jeff at cackle hatchery and one of the breeders and what i heard was like magic to my ears they actualy knew what they were talking about and very informational on the breed standards as far as the uk goes and there breeding pens. Like every marans or chicken breeder knows nothing is 100% perfect you still have culling based on color, uniformaty, comb, fethering, leg color, eye color, and breed standard.

I have been breeding Black Copper Marans For 2 Straight years now on to my 3rd My lines consist of Bev Davis and a direct import line from greenfire farms. I love these birds more and more every year. they are producing very big beautiful healthy chicks and are feathering out to the uk standard very nicely. i recently got some of the wheaten Marans stock from Cackle hatchery to try and see even though im not the biggest fan of a hatchery i think they are doing a great job i stopped and actual got to talk to jeff at cackle hatchery and one of the breeders and what i heard was like magic to my ears they actualy knew what they were talking about and very informational on the breed standards as far as the uk goes and there breeding pens. Like every marans or chicken breeder knows nothing is 100% perfect you still have culling based on color, uniformaty, comb, fethering, leg color, eye color, and breed standard.

The direct import line is new this year at Greenfire, correct? I have chicks in the mail right now from this line... Any feedback on the strengths and weaknesses? I have LP eggs in the incubator so I wanted to have a couple unrelated lines to build a strong foundation of a breeding program. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Greenfire has a direct import line of birchens availible this coming year the black coppers arent a new thing to them. I do not have the birchen so i dont know anything on them as far as health and there ups and downs. but if you are ordering there black copper marans line then they do have very good stock. the way your planning this sounds good as long as your other lines do well to compliment each other.

Why do you say that. I am totally new to all this. The others in the picture are brown legbar roo black copper maran hen. Or so i was told.

The white spot on top of the head signifies that they are barred or cuckoo. It makes perfect sense if those are legbar mixes though. The legbar rooster will pass a copy of that gene to all his offspring.

Back
Top Bottom