Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.
Not my picture but maybe you can use it.

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

My Cream Legbar eggs are blue inside and out. I will try get photo for you tomorrow.

I have a splash cockerel I am trying to rehome. I cannot keep roosters. He has not started to crow yet. I am new to Marans, is his coloring typical? When I look up pictures online I don't see the yellow color in others. His sister looks like a typical Splash Maran. I also have a blue copper and black copper from the same breeder. They all look typical. Is he typical? He is about 10.5 weeks old.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Splash copper cockerels are generally useless for the breeding pen. I didnt mean that to sound rude at all. :) The splash disguises/conceals most of the color underneath so you dont know what you are working with. In your roo's case he looks over colored so he would probably produce some mossy offspring with a lot of copper leakage if paired with a black copper hen unless she was overmelanized. You would get 100% blue offspring that way but it is best to use a black copper roo over splash hens, so I have been told. This is my first year dealing with Marans so I am trying to learn as well.

His eyes are also very dark. I cant really tell anything about his type based on these pics. Splash roos are culls for me but I will be putting a black copper marans roo over my splash pullets in the next breeding season. Your roo could make someone a nice pet or a lead roo to a mixed flock of layers. You shouldnt have a hard time rehoming him. :)

If anyone has a more experieced opinion they can share. I am like a sponge trying to soak up all the Marans info I can. Lol

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe I just read this same information last week from Chooks Man. Yes on Splash hens. No on Splash Roos. I haven't looked at the roo in question just passing on second hand info from a very reliable source. I will try to find the post. It was on the International Black Copper Marans thread.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom