Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

geebs~

Thanks for posting that! I'm an frequent visitor of that site and love it!
smile.png

This site does a beautiful job of trying to impart the nuances of the Red/black color balance and what it affects on the whole bird... I can really wrap my brain around it... THere are lots of sites that agree with this... Nothing I have found to dispute it... If you find something please post it and share it. I love finding the stuff from Old breeders... there is one breeder of 20 years in Scottland that because of climate changes will no longer be breeding some of the birds etc... He explains why recordkeeping that the early and careful breeders did is sooo important and that it is a lost and dying art. We have a lot to learn from "the old masters". I personally feel a strong connection to the past will give us a good foothold on the future. Oh and by the way.. Good morning All!!!

Wynette, I don't know if I understand what you are saying. If you show they have to be tested and some shows are starting to test at the door if they are not tested or they will refuse entry to the show.

You can still bring in new birds and legally all shipped eggs are supposed to be NPIP anyway. I believe all live and eggs are supposed to be certified. Some states like Virginia they used to have to be tested for CRD.

Last edited:
Quote:
What I'm saying is that once I'm certified, I am not legally allowed to purchase hatching eggs or stock from someone that is not NPIP certified. That's closing the door on an awful lot of good breeders & stock out there. That's what bothers me most about NPIP.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that once I'm certified, I am not legally allowed to purchase hatching eggs or stock from someone that is not NPIP certified. That's closing the door on an awful lot of good breeders & stock out there. That's what bothers me most about NPIP.

To ad new birds if they are not tested all you do is test them soon as you get them. In the USA to legally ship eggs they are supposed to be from a NPIP certified flock. Is there something in print saying you can not bring in fowl that is not tested. I have been to the class twice and do not remember that being said.

There is a form to send with eggs stating they are NPIP certified and a copy is supposed to be turned in so there is a record showing where eggs and birds have been shipped.

wee.gif
THE COOP IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
The chicks are in it and having a blast! I still need to paint the trim front and back. My little Amish man is going to do the front, as it needs to be done from the roof. Not me buddy! The back side I can reach from the ground
smile.png
Still need to haul in more timbers and nail them for the apron, hope to get that done this afternoon. Gravel will be coming in to cover the apron wire, then I will be all set. My first predators, my own cats! Two of them walking all around the thing just dying to find a hole. No holes poodys, sorry! May even get a fence charger and hot wire the thing too, just to be on the safe side! Oh happy day! Will take pics later when it cools down, I'm beat!

Quote:
I don't show my birds, nor do I ever plan on showing them. To be honest, there's just way too much nasty infectious crud that can unknowingly be tracked back home...so I prefer the safety of my birds over a nice pretty ribbon.
smile.png
But I really admire those who do show their remarkable birds. I know it's a lot of work and something to be proud of. It's just not for me. But I love having show quality/as close to show quality birds, so I breed to standard to the best of my ability.

Even though it would be a bit of a drive for me, I'd definitely attend a Fowl clinic. There's something new to learn every day, even for the seasoned professionals in BYC.

Back
Top Bottom