Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Shelley, A while back I received a letter from the Agriculture Department saying that if people didn't start turning in the state copy when eggs are sold they were going to change some of the volunteer policy, The NPIP is voluntary unless you are shipping eggs or fowl or showing. Now you can take fowl to a Livestock auction and do not have to have a certificate because they are going for butcher supposedly.

Kathy, thanks for asking that here. I posted that question and did not get a response, so I contacted an APA judge who told me positive black is the black as defined by the SOP= lustrous greenish black - or black with a green sheen.

Quote:
They better get a mighty big task force if they plan on forcing everyone to be NPIP certified. And in my opinion, what's good for the goose is good for the gander...so even backroad farmers selling eating eggs should have to supply certificates, too. But anyway...I'll leave it at that my friends. That's an entirely new thread just waiting to be debated.
gig.gif

If positive black is green-sheen black....does positive white have some sort of sheen, as well?

I understood it to be the whitest white you can get. I should have perhaps questioned more closely, but I was mainly interested in the black answer. The SOP needs to be more user friendly for beginners and have more definitions. It does not mention a sheen in it's definition for white, so unless a silvery sheen or other sheen is mentioned in a particular breed description, it is just white.
Black is defined in the SOP as lustrous greenish black, so if white had a luster or sheen, I should think it would have been in the definition of white.
That is what I have gathered from the APA people I have communicated with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom