Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

@rooboo PICS, PICS, PICS!!!!!!

@rooboo PICS, PICS, PICS!!!!!!

Here's a picture of some eggs from the last few days. The smaller ones are from some pullets that just started laying. These are not necessarily the best ones I get, because I think a couple of my darkest layers are taking a break right now.
Rob

It took me a while to get that picture posted cuz we are in the middle of a march snow storm here in southeast Wisconsin. I just got back home from service calls and plowing all day. I'm so done with Wisconsin weather!!! This boomer is moving south, enough is enough.

Here's a picture of some eggs from the last few days. The smaller ones are from some pullets that just started laying. These are not necessarily the best ones I get, because I think a couple of my darkest layers are taking a break right now.
Rob

Those eggs are gorgeous!

I'd like to get two dark brown egg laters. I understand that Copper Marans are the ones that do that. I'd like them to be anywhere from 4 to 52 weeks old so they will be more easily merged into my flock. Please let me know if you have some.

I live near Walterboro, SC and can come and pick them up anywhere within a 100 mile radius.

Last edited:
So I bought this beauty last year from a woman breeding Americaunas and marans to a bcm marans roo. She banded her birds as they hatched so no one bought any of the full marans as she was keeping them. Missy here ended up being my only hen of eight chicks so she was the only I kept. I was wondering if she could be full blooded. You can't tell from the pic but she has feathering on the outside of her legs down to her toes.
[/IMG]

So I bought this beauty last year from a woman breeding Americaunas and marans to a bcm marans roo. She banded her birds as they hatched so no one bought any of the full marans as she was keeping them. Missy here ended up being my only hen of eight chicks so she was the only I kept. I was wondering if she could be full blooded. You can't tell from the pic but she has feathering on the outside of her legs down to her toes.
[/IMG]

If I'm correct you have pure Marans the eggs are not overly dark but if they were from an Amer. Marans cross the eggs should be some form of olive colour. Not brown.

Thank you! I wasn't sure since her eggs were light. After a few days off she lays a six on the colour scale but then they lighten back up. She is what started me on my love of marans and chicken genetics in general.

Back
Top Bottom