Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi. What makes you think he is part Marans? My roosters are almost grown but still very young. They dont look like this one.

I don't know what he is that's why I'm asking I was told he could be part Maran. Hence the name Mutt I don't think he is full blood anything the Farmer I got the chicks from only has Barred Rock, Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex and to me he doesn't look like any of these the closest picture I could find was a Copper Maran So I emailed the pic to a breeder I found online and she said she believes he looks like a Maran x something. I don't really care what he is I would just like to know because He is a handsome man his colors have come in even more since this picture

I just started with the French Black Copper Marans They are black and some of them have red on the neck but they all have feathers on their legs. Your rooster is beautiful. I had speckled sussex a few years ago. They had the green on the wings like this one.

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. Not sure if this is the right spot to post, tried under the Breeds, Genetic, & Showing and then found this more specific for Marans.

I have about 50-60 laying hens. Too many different breeds to list. I'm moving toward 3-4 breeds. Leghorns for their supersonic laying powers, Ameraucanas because of the pretty eggs, Blue Red-Laced Wyandottes because I think they are pretty and gentle, and the Copper Marans. Here is my dilemma: I don't want both black and blue...I want to have just one...I'm leaning toward the blue. I have one CM roo and he is a Black. I like him because he is sweet.

I'm posting some pics for critique. At this time I don't want to show, but that doesn't mean that down the line I'll change my mind...I would like to raise them with this option in mind.

At the moment, I have 5 Black CM hens, 1 Black CM Roo, and 3 Blue CM hens. I bought the eggs and hatched them. The Blacks are supposedly from the Wade Jeane line and the Blues are from Mari Krebs line. I've read a lot about the Jeane line but cannot find anything about the Krebs line. Would love info on both.

They will be one year old October 21st. I have set 3 incubators of eggs, hoping to increase the flock. Even though I can run the black roo with both color hens, I read that I shouldn't if I want to raise pure breeds. (BYW: I give all my extra eggs to my church's food pantry--that's why I have so many laying hens.)

Here are my pics of my hens and Black roo. I really want to hear your critiques. I want to learn. I wish I knew of someone in my area with a vast knowledge and would be willing to school me in how and what makes a great bird. I read and soak in the forum, but there's nothing like someone taking you under their wing!!!!!!! (Couldn't resist!)

My darkest blue hen.

My lightest blue hen

My in-between blue hen

This is Paul. (As in the biblical Paul!!!!) I did have a Blue CM names Peter (as in the biblical Peter), and he lived up to his name: feisty. Peter and I parted ways!

Paul with my Black CM hen, Shadow...because she shadows me everywhere.

I've enclosed pics of my new chicken tractors that I BUILT! Hubby made and attached the wheel mechanism. But the carpentry was all me!

As you can see, when I get serious about something, I do my homework and prepare!

This is my new chicken house that my son-in-law and I made in the spring--preparation.
Front

Back

So, before I make any further decisions, I would very much appreciate any and all help, plus your critiques.

Thanks for you time,
I live in Northern VA: "Virginia is for Chicken Lovers"

I don't think I can multi quote so here goes.....

re combs on young birds. pullets will not have any color in their combs till they get older. roos will show some pink and bigger size much sooner Ghana pullet would.....you will get a few roos that will throw you.

MUTT. no idea really what he is mixes with but a mix.....yellow legs and the wing triangle indicate a mix. wheatens something IDK.

I didn't read the whole post about what color birds.....good job on the coop! regarding the blue keep in mind you will always get blue and black chicks and if you breed blue to blue splash.they don't breed true. you can have a blue roo over blacks and just get the blue and blacks.....blues will also be all over the place in color for the most part. might just be me but the blues are a little harder to get the look they should have color wise too.

Last edited:
"I didn't read the whole post about what color birds.....good job on the coop! regarding the blue keep in mind you will always get blue and black chicks and if you breed blue to blue splash.they don't breed true. you can have a blue roo over blacks and just get the blue and blacks.....blues will also be all over the place in color for the most part. might just be me but the blues are a little harder to get the look they should have color wise too.
Edited by DMRippy - Yesterday at 9:30 pm"

Thank you so much for responding. It means a lot.

I do know if I choose to go with the blues, it's a bit tricky. I have to admit that the shades of coloring is what draws me toward the blues...I like the variety. But if down the road I want to show, it's going to take a bit more work to get a good show bird, am I correct?

Any specifics on my Black Roo, Paul? Do you need more pics? If so, what angles?

Thank you again.

"I didn't read the whole post about what color birds.....good job on the coop! regarding the blue keep in mind you will always get blue and black chicks and if you breed blue to blue splash.they don't breed true. you can have a blue roo over blacks and just get the blue and blacks.....blues will also be all over the place in color for the most part. might just be me but the blues are a little harder to get the look they should have color wise too.
Edited by DMRippy - Yesterday at 9:30 pm" Thank you so much for responding. It means a lot. I do know if I choose to go with the blues, it's a bit tricky. I have to admit that the shades of coloring is what draws me toward the blues...I like the variety. But if down the road I want to show, it's going to take a bit more work to get a good show bird, am I correct? Any specifics on my Black Roo, Paul? Do you need more pics? If so, what angles? Thank you again.
I am just using a phone so I try not to comment on birds much since I can't see.them very well. at a quick glance they looked pretty good. maybe someone will pop in and help you. I am still learning too.

Great job on the chicken pens! My BCMarans are still young so I cant comment on yours other than to say they are handsome chickens. I cant wait until mine start laying! I chose the black ones because I like the looks of them.

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. Not sure if this is the right spot to post, tried under the Breeds, Genetic, & Showing and then found this more specific for Marans.

I have about 50-60 laying hens. Too many different breeds to list. I'm moving toward 3-4 breeds. Leghorns for their supersonic laying powers, Ameraucanas because of the pretty eggs, Blue Red-Laced Wyandottes because I think they are pretty and gentle, and the Copper Marans. Here is my dilemma: I don't want both black and blue...I want to have just one...I'm leaning toward the blue. I have one CM roo and he is a Black. I like him because he is sweet.

I'm posting some pics for critique. At this time I don't want to show, but that doesn't mean that down the line I'll change my mind...I would like to raise them with this option in mind.

At the moment, I have 5 Black CM hens, 1 Black CM Roo, and 3 Blue CM hens. I bought the eggs and hatched them. The Blacks are supposedly from the Wade Jeane line and the Blues are from Mari Krebs line. I've read a lot about the Jeane line but cannot find anything about the Krebs line. Would love info on both.

They will be one year old October 21st. I have set 3 incubators of eggs, hoping to increase the flock. Even though I can run the black roo with both color hens, I read that I shouldn't if I want to raise pure breeds. (BYW: I give all my extra eggs to my church's food pantry--that's why I have so many laying hens.)

Here are my pics of my hens and Black roo. I really want to hear your critiques. I want to learn. I wish I knew of someone in my area with a vast knowledge and would be willing to school me in how and what makes a great bird. I read and soak in the forum, but there's nothing like someone taking you under their wing!!!!!!! (Couldn't resist!)

My darkest blue hen.

My lightest blue hen

My in-between blue hen

This is Paul. (As in the biblical Paul!!!!) I did have a Blue CM names Peter (as in the biblical Peter), and he lived up to his name: feisty. Peter and I parted ways!

Paul with my Black CM hen, Shadow...because she shadows me everywhere.

I've enclosed pics of my new chicken tractors that I BUILT! Hubby made and attached the wheel mechanism. But the carpentry was all me!

As you can see, when I get serious about something, I do my homework and prepare!

This is my new chicken house that my son-in-law and I made in the spring--preparation.
Front

Back

So, before I make any further decisions, I would very much appreciate any and all help, plus your critiques.

Thanks for you time,
I live in Northern VA: "Virginia is for Chicken Lovers"
Paul is a decent looking roo! I like his coppering.

I am just starting with BCM,, and i am attempting to get some information regarding the breed, and i will show. Have shown dogs, cats and horses, and love competition. going forward I did get my eggs off the internet,,!! I am very happy with the seller and the chicks look like Marans.. HOW do you know that what u are buying is what you get!! What i mean is they all say they have Wade Jean, Bev Davis lines , but how do we really know, as someone just starting out I want to make sure I have pure breed birds, please any suggestions,, ??

Back
Top Bottom