Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

BCM chicks around here go for 8 to 10 each. Started pullets go for around 25.00 unless they are hatchery birds. Hatchery BCM go for much less.

BCM seem to average about $10 a chick for day olds. I have seen pullets & hens go for about $30-$50 depending on age and quality. Usually older birds being sold off are culls and have some issues that you wouldn't want to breed but would be alright for layers.

I haven't seen a Marans that is Isabella/Isobel/Isabelle but I did recently learn about that type of coloring a little bit. It is basically the lavender gene used to dilute a patterned bird (usually) like these Isabella Leghorns and Brahmas http://www.leghorn.nl/artikelen/Isabel patrijs-UK.pdf I am on a waiting list to see about purchasing some her in the US, though I don't know that I will be able to afford it, LOL! http://backwoodspoultryfarm.com/Breeds.html There are also Lavender Leghorns http://oldorchardfarms.weebly.com/leghorns.html
Just getting back to this for a minute, sorry, but I was out for a bit. Isabelle reminds me of fawn duckwing in OEGB- a lav or dunn or chocolate and white variety. Very pretty. DM are yours copper and lav? Trying to pictures this. I also notice that anything that isn't a BCM lays significantly lighter eggs.

Geez, out here in east TN, $10 is the highest price you would expect to pay for a layer. But thanks everyone.
??? How much is feed in your neck of the woods?

Mine is running $16 a bag. There is NO WAY I would sell a POL or young layer for $10. Lordy, I have more than that in feed for ANY LAYER, not just Marans.

Hi fellow french maran fans! :)
This is Daisy, the only pullet from a hatch of 8! I didn't hatch them myself. She is just over 4 months, very laid back nd friendly. She is going to be a breeding pair with my french blue roo, but I am not seeing any brown feathers on her neck yet?? when do these come in? im worried she's not a french maran....
hu.gif

??? How much is feed in your neck of the woods?

Mine is running $16 a bag. There is NO WAY I would sell a POL or young layer for $10. Lordy, I have more than that in feed for ANY LAYER, not just Marans.
Amen to that. Dinsmore Feed Store has some @ 14.50 per bag for layer crumble (just fyi) but still.....its a lot! I think I was only paying around 11 per bag a few years ago grrr.

Yea, $12-$20 (depends on what/where) for feed out here. I know it, $10 just isn't worth it, it's crazy....they'd be worth more than that going to dog food.

Last edited:
I don't think she is splash.....her leg color is wrong. splash birds typically have white legs like cuckoo's. she may just be a very light blue.
her legs are not pure white, but not sure I would call them cream either! will try to get those pictures up tonight or tomorrow! thank you! I will now have to look up blue marans. my 3 marans were $5 when we bought them at a local farm at 5 weeks old.

you might find some layers here for $10 you will NOT find Marans for that unless they are young.

feed here in middle TN is $14 for 22% tickets layer feed. I would think it might be more expensive in parts of east TN.

Back
Top Bottom