Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Our FBCM pullets are laying! Some of the eggs are quite dark, which is nice. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them have blood/meat spots. We've had this happen only a few times in all the years we've kept chickens, but are not thrilled with the Marans because of this. Hubby's the cook of the house and says they need to go. :(

I was wondering how prevalent this was with Marans. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't decide if this is something that would be worth trying to improve upon (through selective breeding) or if it is a lost battle. I would appreciate any advice.

Our FBCM pullets are laying! Some of the eggs are quite dark, which is nice. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them have blood/meat spots. We've had this happen only a few times in all the years we've kept chickens, but are not thrilled with the Marans because of this. Hubby's the cook of the house and says they need to go. :(

I was wondering how prevalent this was with Marans. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't decide if this is something that would be worth trying to improve upon (through selective breeding) or if it is a lost battle. I would appreciate any advice.

We have BCM and blue coppers and have not had this in our eggs.

We have BCM and blue coppers and have not had this in our eggs.
Thank you, Ihilani Coffee. This gives me some hope. I think I'll hang on to the few pullets laying 'clean' dark eggs and cross them for now with our brown red Ameraucana roosters for some olive eggers. (It'll be neat to have a color-coordinated flock laying different colored eggs.) I'll see if there's any improvement in this regard and keep my eye out for another line of BCM. I wouldn't mind if it were an occasional issue, but it's pretty ridiculous with these gals.

Last edited:

I had that problem too when I first got my marans. I don't see it much any more. How old are they? I think it is a pullet problem more than a hen problem.

I had that problem too when I first got my marans. I don't see it much any more. How old are they? I think it is a pullet problem more than a hen problem.
They are young - 6/2013 hatches. It would be great if it is something they would outgrow. I've just never seen this in other breeds we've raised (EE, Ameraucana, Brahma, RIR ...)

Thanks for the insight, DMRippy.
smile.png

Thank you, Ihilani Coffee. This gives me some hope. I think I'll hang on to the few pullets laying 'clean' dark eggs and cross them for now with our brown red Ameraucana roosters for some olive eggers. (It'll be neat to have a color-coordinated flock laying different colored eggs.) I'll see if there's any improvement in this regard and keep my eye out for another line of BCM. I wouldn't mind if it were an occasional issue, but it's pretty ridiculous with these gals.
I wonder if it is a stress issue?

I wonder if it is a stress issue?
I considered this. However, our EEs and Ameraucana are kept in the same conditions with no problems. I haven't kept track of the prevalence, but 2 out of 3 were problematic this morning - then DH switched to non-BCM eggs for our French toast.
hmm.png

I considered this. However, our EEs and Ameraucana are kept in the same conditions with no problems. I haven't kept track of the prevalence, but 2 out of 3 were problematic this morning - then DH switched to non-BCM eggs for our French toast. :/  

There is a discussion on this earlier in this thread, and as DMRippy said, the general consensus was that the problem disappeared after a short while.

There is a discussion on this earlier in this thread, and as DMRippy said, the general consensus was that the problem disappeared after a short while.
Thanks, rexy. I've made it through quite a bit of the thread, but tend to get side-tracked. I've tried the search function, but didn't seem to find an answer - I'll give it another go, as I'd like to read about others' experience. It would be great if their youth were to be the case, as I'm feeling a bit disheartened with the project right now. They are beautiful birds and I really like the eggs, cosmetically. Most started laying at about five months and production seems to be quite good (despite the weather!). I will be patient and give the girls a chance.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom