Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Are black tail buffs a cross of a BCM and a BO? (and does it mater which is the roo?)
I'd like to know this one too! I just picked up my 4 black/blue copper marans - I think one will be blue, but my main breed is BO. I'm curious as unless DH gets busy, they'll all be in together.
smile.png

The darkest eggs my newest generation of BCM are laying have a matte finish. The others are a glossy and more redish looking. Aside from shade, I am thinking the glossy finish is preferred over the matte, does anyone know for sure?

My BCMxBR hen started out with eggs with a lot of bloom and were a shade or two darker than my red star eggs and pretty red in color. Now they are a chocolate color. I think it takes time for them to settle. She's 34 weeks old

Last edited:
My BCMxBR hen started out with eggs with a lot of bloom and were a shade or two darker than my red star eggs and pretty red in color. Now they are a chocolate color. I think it takes time for them to settle. She's 34 weeks old
Thanks for your input. For those who send their BCM eggs to egg shows I think it is preferred either Matte or Glossy finish, just can't remember which and hoping someone else does :)

Last edited:
I just received a group of day old fbcm chicks and they have different amounts of white/cream on them. One has very little. I am not going to keep all of them so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the color as chicks is any indication of the color as adults. Is there a way for me to tell which will be the best looking adults from their coloring now?

I just received a group of day old fbcm chicks and they have different amounts of white/cream on them. One has very little. I am not going to keep all of them so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the color as chicks is any indication of the color as adults. Is there a way for me to tell which will be the best looking adults from their coloring now?
Well, here is a bit of an answer, in my chicks, the ones with not much white end up too dark as adults, the ones with too much white end up with too much colour and the middle ones end up more to the standard. Here are some of my chicks from a couple of years ago:
Too Dark, his chest was very grey rather than white:

Too much white and just right, just a little white eyeliner grows out better colour for me:

Well, here is a bit of an answer, in my chicks, the ones with not much white end up too dark as adults, the ones with too much white end up with too much colour and the middle ones end up more to the standard. Here are some of my chicks from a couple of years ago: Too Dark, his chest was very grey rather than white: Too much white and just right, just a little white eyeliner grows out better colour for me:

Thank you so much. The pictures are really helpful. These are hopefully females. They are black copper marans. So when you say too dark do you mean not enough copper and too much white will give you too much copper?

Back
Top Bottom