Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

she#s lovely! I have 2 that are about 12 weeks old now that had the white edging on their chest feathers and they have turned black now - both female, both had the usual tuxedo look going on as day old chicks
love.gif
it's always interesting to see what they develop into

Chipmunk chicks revisited....

More confusion! They are now 6 weeks old, and changing color AGAIN....a couple of them are turning blue! What is up with that?!? I also seem to have 2 pullets and 1 cockerel, not 3 pullets as it first appeared. My little cockerel, I have named Caleb, as he's quite the little chunk and has started crowing. (yes, for those of you who also watch American Idol....I went there! LOL) Caleb Chicken is a precious little love sponge who likes to sit on my lap. The girls are also sweet, but not as lovey-dovey as he is, or for that matter, Pepper (my little blue boy.) Is this typical of Marans, that the boys are super-duper friendly? Even more so than the girls? My boys seem to be really mellow little love bugs!

Anyway, here are pics of the chipmunk kids. Do we still think they could be golden salmons, or are they some bizarre sport color? Disclaimer: I love them no matter what....just trying to figure them out!

The Girls:

...and Caleb. He's darker, not so blue-looking, and very obviously a boy.

...and just for fun, a pic of Caleb doing his snuggly thing on my lap. He's my Baby.
The pullets' coloring still seems in line with GSM, remember GMSs can be blue, but the Roo's brown chest is throwing me. Please keep us posted on feathering and cant' wait to see an egg. Again, they probably have other color genes in there that will need to be sifted out or they may be ? who knows what.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to the marans breed and I just love chickens. I don't show them or anything, but we were considering breeding just for expansion purposes. Does my boy (Lincoln) look like he might be okay for farm breeding or should we look into another roo? He is 16 weeks in this picture.

Hi, I am new to the marans breed and I just love chickens. I don't show them or anything, but we were considering breeding just for expansion purposes. Does my boy (Lincoln) look like he might be okay for farm breeding or should we look into another roo? He is 16 weeks in this picture.
Wow he's beautiful! I know nothing about showing or anything as I'm also new to marans and have fallen head over heels for them. I imagine that my boy Blue will look just like yours here in a few weeks. He'll be 10 weeks old on Saturday.
This picture is when he was about 8 weeks old. I need to get a new one of him lol

Last edited:
Wow he's beautiful! I know nothing about showing or anything as I'm also new to marans and have fallen head over heels for them. I imagine that my boy Blue will look just like yours here in a few weeks. He'll be 10 weeks old on Saturday.

This picture is when he was about 8 weeks old. I need to get a new one of him lol

it's hard to tell alot from the angle..but I like him :)...

What subdivision of the APA Continental Class are marans put into? There are:
Northern Europe (barnevelders, campines, hamburgs, lakenvelders, welsummers)
Polish (polish)
French (houdans, crevecoeurs, la flèche, faverolles)

French Marans are obviously from France, but fit in more so with the Northern European birds. So I wasn't sure.

Thanks,
Preston

So sorry to barge in-- I really need your help guys.
I got maran eggs (supposed to be show quality etc) from 3 sources
They are so different.

These chicks (which I assume would be blue) but look totally different than my other blues...
Look how heavy its feathering is on the shanks!! Have you ever seen such a thing? It also has more white on it than I remember seeing with the others.

I was going to cull these but I realize it's early. They aren't even fully feathered out yet.

So:
Don't keep these?
Also could it be mixed with something or a different breed?
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom