Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Did not know you had Birchens Donna. Where are they from we may need to talk.
I got 2 cockerels last year from FL. I got them for a project but that project has made a 180 and I have them all up for sale on CL. I might keep a couple of the pullets for that project but they don't have much silver expressing. I have not gotten any eggs from the pullets. My hen didn't lay dark eggs either.

I got 2 cockerels last year from FL.  I got them for a project but that project has made a 180 and I have them all up for sale on CL.  I might keep a couple of the pullets for that project but they don't have much silver expressing.   I have not gotten any eggs from the pullets.  My hen didn't lay dark eggs either. 

Are the Cockrills from the same eggs as the pullets? I don't want to go backwards on my egg color but would like to add a new Cock.

I poked around in this thread a bit trying to find the answer, but I didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed something that has been asked and answered ---

I've been reading around with re: dark egg coloring and have heard that the Black Copper variety often lay the darkest eggs. Is this true, or does it depend more on the bird / lineage?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine has offered me a very nice Silver Cuckoo Rooster, but the dark eggs is main trait I'm looking for in owning a Marans.

I poked around in this thread a bit trying to find the answer, but I didn't see anything. Sorry if I missed something that has been asked and answered ---

I've been reading around with re: dark egg coloring and have heard that the Black Copper variety often lay the darkest eggs. Is this true, or does it depend more on the bird / lineage?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine has offered me a very nice Silver Cuckoo Rooster, but the dark eggs is main trait I'm looking for in owning a Marans.

If he's from a good bloodline, he'll carry the genes for dark eggs. But not all Marans lay dark eggs. Some lay VERY dark eggs.

Not all cuckoos lines lay dark eggs. Mine are just darker than reg eggs. I am working on darker eggs with them.... maybe next year I can make some progress with some blue and black marans in the mix.

Black Coppers lay the darkest usually.... but there are some lines of other varieties that people have really worked on eggs. Make sure when getting the DARKEST eggs the birds are true to type first.

Our 6 Black Copper Marans and 1 Wheaton Marans chicks
just received them in the Mail today ....

And our 25 week old EE Pullet demanded them as her chicks
upon seeing them so I put them in with her chicks and no all
the chicks are not in the picture as some are running around
behind me and getting water ....... Funny Pullet ..

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom