Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Not a dumb question but you have to wait till someone with pics can reply to you, but you could always google for images or there is a option on the threads now to view just the pictures.

I don't remember what she had.... i do remember I tried a couple of different times and couldn't get anything from her. I don't have EVERY color Marans (Contrary to public opinion LOL) come in and you could visit the Marans Club for more info on each variety.

Current Blue Copper

Cuckoo Marans

Blue Copper Marans Pullet

Birchen Marans

Splash Cuckoo Marans

Black Copper (I don't have him anymore)

Blue Copper

Splash Copper

Black Copper

A Blue or Black Marans would just not have any color other than black or blue. They are RARE and hard to find without gold leaking.

I don't have wheaten Marans but there is a thread or the clubs. I think there are a couple of other colors floating around.... Blue Birchen, Blue Wheaten, Salmon, Silvers, Lavender, Lavender Coppers. maybe something else.
But Donna....what about WHITE?
lau.gif

They do seem a little light, but that can be computer screen resolution, plus it's something you can work on with your breeding selections if you choose.
As far as the later comments, they were asking about feathered legs. Tbere are some clean legged ones out there but they should be feathered as described, according to the standard.
It's also late in the laying season for some hens (mine started laying in November). I will say that I haven't found that the hens lay dark at the beginning and simply lighten as time goes on. Mine have "waves" of pigment color. One of my blue coppers laid barely a 4 the other day (for a couple of days actually) and then hit me with a 7 the very next day. I'd say in general they will lay more darker eggs at the beginning of a lay cycle, on average.

I don't have wheaten Marans but there is a thread or the clubs. I think there are a couple of other colors floating around.... Blue Birchen, Blue Wheaten, Salmon, Silvers, Lavender, Lavender Coppers. maybe something else.

I have a salmon project in the works.

Salmon is actually Black-breasted Red. I'm not sure why they need to be called salmon when they're Marans.

I'm encouraged. My girls are only 8 weeks old but they are filling out and have BEAUTIFUL body type. I'm new to chickens and to this breed but these girls were bought from a breeder and I'm so pleased with them so far. Just gorgeous! The eggs I saw before I bought them weren't the darkest but we'll have a pretty egg basket nonetheless.
I have EEs, light brown egg layers and an OE too :)

Eta: my OE is from elsewhere and has a pure AM father and BCM mother. He/she (reeeaaally hoping she) has heavier feathering on her legs and is shaped like my BCM...but with a pea comb. Hehe
After seeing these run around together, I really love the Marans shape and look.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom