Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Nice! Are the darkies from BCM? How many eggs per week do the dark layers lay?

Yes, I have 4 lines of BCM's.

They have not all started their spring laying yet, and I don't know which hen lays which egg. I have about 20 hens of that super dark egg line and getting about 8 eggs a day from them. I get from #7 to #9 in darkness from that line.

This is from 2 different lines of BCM's I have, showing the extremes. (I've got the 2 lines separated). I have 2 other lines that lay eggs in between those two extremes.
My Blue and Splash Marans lay like your right side and my Cuckoos lay like the left bottom one and a little darker. My welsunners lay darker than the Cuckoos most of the time. My Australorps lay just as dark As your left side. I don't have any BCMs to compare them to.

They have not all started their spring laying yet, and I don't know which hen lays which egg. I have about 20 hens of that super dark egg line and getting about 8 eggs a day from them. I get from #7 to #9 in darkness from that line.
Thanks! My darkest layers only give me a few eggs per week, I think that is pretty typical so I was curious about yours :)

That's amazing. Are you breeding for type, or breeding for eggs? I'm just starting with my first batch of BCMs that came from #6to #8 eggs (I saw them at the breeder). I won't be showing chickens, but I am very interested in keeping the eggs as dark as possible. Are those #9s early season eggs? How much do they drop off over the year? The breeder also told me that his hens eggs also tend to lighten up after year 2

That's amazing. Are you breeding for type, or breeding for eggs? I'm just starting with my first batch of BCMs that came from #6to #8 eggs (I saw them at the breeder). I won't be showing chickens, but I am very interested in keeping the eggs as dark as possible. Are those #9s early season eggs? How much do they drop off over the year? The breeder also told me that his hens eggs also tend to lighten up after year 2

I'm breeding for both type and eggs.

If you go to this page http://agricommunity.com/for-sale/ and scroll down and click the BCM links you'll see how I got my dark line going. Those links should answer all your questions.
smile.png

What color are the Marans eggs on the Marans egg color chart? It's impossible to tell with different lighting, monitors, etc. without one. We always have the chart in our egg photos. It's helpful also to punch a hole in each egg color on the chart and put your egg behind the chart for most clear color matching, like this:
I don't have a show color chart, I just ordered one, it should be here in a few days I will take a picture and let you know.
1f423.png
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom