Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have my opinion, taste, breeding program and different breeding styles but still achieve the correct color pattern. I believe i have read both but tend to lean more towards one. If you want to get picky about it look at the french standard.

Maranman93, The APA SOP is basically the same as the French Standard. Most coming on this site are wanting to breed to the APA SOP.

I just want to share my Polka-dot....I know she's not perfect so far as looks and standards, but if I could breed her personality into every bird, it would be great. She's qwerky and chatty, friendly and calm. I pick her up and I swear she hugs back.

She inspects the garage every day.

Does anyone happen to have a Wheaten marans rooster? I got in some Wheatens today and one was very weak and it died:( so I am in need of a new one if anyone has any! Thanks

I managed to get some better pictures of my new guy today. The ones i posted the other day were rather lousy. He's been named Tucker.

Looks like one the three boys I have kept back for breeding. He is a big boy with a huge comb. His name is Chauncy.

Last edited:
I have just decided to raise some black copper marans fir the eggs. I in no way want to show but would like to have decent looking birds. I have two blue hens so decided to get a black roo to put over them. Coresponded with someone fir a while who seems very knowledgeable. She sold me one oo her black cockerels. When i went to pick him up i was surprised because he has a lot of color in his chest that ii don't think is desirable. It is beautiful but i dont think breed standard he has a "lacing/edging". On his feathers. Please let me know what yall think. He also has the same kinda effevt in his saddle feathers. Pictures are niot the best. They are with my phone. Took them between showers.

I have just decided to raise some black copper marans fir the eggs. I in no way want to show but would like to have decent looking birds. I have two blue hens so decided to get a black roo to put over them. Coresponded with someone fir a while who seems very knowledgeable. She sold me one oo her black cockerels. When i went to pick him up i was surprised because he has a lot of color in his chest that ii don't think is desirable. It is beautiful but i dont think breed standard he has a "lacing/edging". On his feathers. Please let me know what yall think. He also has the same kinda effevt in his saddle feathers. Pictures are niot the best. They are with my phone. Took them between showers.

Hate to tell you but you bought someones CULL.

I am in Dade City Florida and looking for some hens and a rooster of BCM and have not been able to find any near by...any help would be appreciated. Have a coop all ready and no chickens to live there... thanks

I managed to get some better pictures of my new guy today. The ones i posted the other day were rather lousy. He's been named Tucker.

He is very dark. What some term over-melanized. He should have more color on his saddle and shoulders. The lack of saddle color would concern me and I personally would not breed one so dark. My females do not have great hackle color....it would be a road to nowhere. You have to take into account what your hens bring to the breeding equation.

Back
Top Bottom