Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

hi all,
took this picture last june in france, very close to mont blanc.
the people that works in that park told me they rise marans, I would love to know what color is this
Thanks

I'm looking for a good meat line of marans. I've heard the cuckoo end up a little meatier than the other colors. I could order from a hatchery, but I'd like to get hatching eggs or chicks from a small breeder. If anyone has any idea where I can order them and get them in the beginning-mid April, that would be great. We're doing a heritage breed taste test at an organic restaurant. I'm going to grow out Dorkings, Marans and black Orpingtons for the taste test.
Dorkings -Joseph at Yellow House Farm ( website) or another reed whose BYC nick is : jwhip.

Last edited:
hi all,
took this picture last june in france, very close to mont blanc.
the people that works in that park told me they rise marans, I would love to know what color is this
Thanks
The breed type is terrible. Note the huge tail and short back. Not any Marans color I know of. Could be one of those Black Breasted Red ( Golden Salmon Marans) which sometimes crop up out of a Black Copper Marans strain. That would explain the black on some of the feathers that shouldn't be there. Birds like this aren't really breed able because, if that's what it is, it is part BCM and part BBR and will not breed true.
Best,
Karen

Hi

This is Bev Davis, thank you for inviting me to join Wynette.  I know I should have joined a long time ago..... sorry!

If anyone has any questions, now is the time to get some answers.

Bev

So glad you're here. I have lots of questions but will bide my time. Is there any way to start a new thread fresh with discussions with bev? This thread is so long. I'm new here so that might not be a good suggestion. I've loved everything I've read so far. You guys are great.

I'm looking for a good meat line of marans. I've heard the cuckoo end up a little meatier than the other colors. I could order from a hatchery, but I'd like to get hatching eggs or chicks from a small breeder. If anyone has any idea where I can order them and get them in the beginning-mid April, that would be great. We're doing a heritage breed taste test at an organic restaurant. I'm going to grow out Dorkings, Marans and black Orpingtons for the taste test.
I bought cukoos last year and have been extremely disappointed with their egg coloring, I wanted chocolate! They lay a dark brown egg but its not darker than my Welsummer or Barvelder, even my RIR lay a darker egg, of course they all have a lot of red in their brown.

So we went to do some butchering of the Barred Rocks, I just don't care for that white on black craziness, and I think I grabbed up a Cukoo by accident. And I couldn't really notice a difference in meat quality or quantity..... If this helps any~

Hi everyone!

I was kinda scared to post in the other thread, but it was pretty interesting reading.  Thanks for starting a new Marans thread though.  /img/smilies/smile.png

I have fallen in love with this breed - my little BCMs are only about 10 weeks old, but they're a pleasure to have in the flock.  I'm not going to be breeding these particular birds since they don't have the feathered legs BUT they sure are turning out to be beautiful.  Does anyone actually favor the clean legs even though it isn't included in the proposed standard?

Again, thanks for starting the Marans thread again.
hi, I see by the date that this is old , but I have a fbcm with clean legs too. I always wanted this breed and pleasantly by surprise I got one rooster at the feed store. I was very suprized and confused about the fatherless legs. Is this common or have a reason for no feathers on the legs?

hi, I see by the date that this is old , but I have a fbcm with clean legs too. I always wanted this breed and pleasantly by surprise I got one rooster at the feed store. I was very suprized and confused about the fatherless legs. Is this common or have a reason for no feathers on the legs?
my rooster also has feathers that are very long and seem to point down on the side .What could this be?Along with fatherless feet.

The long feathers are saddle feathers and correct. The legs without feathers are the English strain of Marans. They came to USA first. When Marans were adopted into APA standard, they chose French feathered legs. English cannot be shown. I prefer English. Personally I think leg feathers should have been optional. But that is water under the bridge now.

Back
Top Bottom