Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hey everyone! I have a question about the baby I bought that is supposed to be a bcm. I'm thinking it must be crossed with something because it doesn't have the full white chest and belly. I bought it from a local breeder and asked her about the discrepancies and she told me "Black Copper Marans Will typically lose all of the white that they have. Sometimes they have a white streak on their wings. Sometimes chest. Sometimes they look brownish with so much copper in them." On Cackle Hatchery's website, the picture of their bcm looks exactly like mine. Did I end up with a low quality bcm, or is it a cross? First photo is bcm on right next to my ccl. Second photo is from the cackle website
20200501_162152.jpg
Screenshot_20200424-163052_Chrome.jpg

Hey everyone! I have a question about the baby I bought that is supposed to be a bcm. I'm thinking it must be crossed with something because it doesn't have the full white chest and belly. I bought it from a local breeder and asked her about the discrepancies and she told me "Black Copper Marans Will typically lose all of the white that they have. Sometimes they have a white streak on their wings. Sometimes chest. Sometimes they look brownish with so much copper in them." On Cackle Hatchery's website, the picture of their bcm looks exactly like mine. Did I end up with a low quality bcm, or is it a cross? First photo is bcm on right next to my ccl. Second photo is from the cackle websiteView attachment 2118105View attachment 2118106
Feather patterns change tremendously over the course of their growth. You won't know until grown what the baby will look like, except that it follows what a Marans looks like. I would wait until full set of adult feathers to gauge the quality of the bird.

Feather patterns change tremendously over the course of their growth. You won't know until grown what the baby will look like, except that it follows what a Marans looks like. I would wait until full set of adult feathers to gauge the quality of the bird.
Thanks! I actually ended up exchanging the bird for a different one because upon my research, I found that the color pattern my bird was exhibiting is known as "mossy" and that this color means that a brown based bird was introduced somewhere along the lines. I found that you shouldn't breed these birds to produce full bcm as it moves away from the breed standard. Since I would to be able to breed them just as an amateur, I didn't want to start with a bird deemed subpar :)

Hello -

question on leg feather color. Why is it some have yellow/white leg feathers and some black? Is there a reason for the coloring difference?

And could I get some opinions on my hens/rooster? I know my rooster lacks some feathering on his legs and I am working on replacing him.

thank you!
26AB1C94-0C68-4550-A414-9441D8838EF4.jpeg
0BBA27BC-2CE4-4F2B-BBE8-92FFBAA99E08.jpeg
DD195F40-1B88-491B-9386-431288388D81.jpeg
BDDFEBF0-9C3F-4FA2-9A49-5934FF51C8B1.jpeg
DD195F40-1B88-491B-9386-431288388D81.jpeg
BDDFEBF0-9C3F-4FA2-9A49-5934FF51C8B1.jpeg
63802930-C9D5-4815-9CEF-5EEC18ADE81F.jpeg

I like them. Are his eyes a bit cloudy? You can breed with a clean legged bird, they definitely crop up ocassionally. You can use hens with well feathered legs for him. I like his tail angle and his color is very nice. I love the eyes on the middle hen in the bottom picture. Lovely colors on your ladies.

Hi, everyone! I am new to this thread-just got my first Marans chick 3 weeks ago. She is a White Marans from Meyer Hatchery. She is very healthy and her white feathers are really coming in and looking beautiful. I named her Lily (a name my granddaughter picked out) Angelica (my choice), because she looked like such an angel with her large white wings! She also has feathered legs and feet (not sure about that yet, as I'm used to no feathers there). I also have a Speckled Sussex and a Silver Laced Wyandotte who are the same age as Lily. They will join my 3 older girls, a Swedish Flower Hen and 2 Easter Eggers as soon as they are big enough.

I do have a question, though. I purposely chose these breeds, as they were all described as sweet and friendly. A couple of days ago, Lily Angelica became more like Lily Demonica-she was chasing the other 2 chicks around and pecking at them unmercifully-even drawing blood from Ginger, my Speckled Sussex chick. Both chicks were terrified of her! I had not had this with chicks this young before, so I put Lily in another container by herself, put some BlueCote on the injured chick, and waited. All quieted down, so I put her back in with the others. Again the chasing and pecking started again. I tried "mother hen pecking" her whenever she pecked one of the other chicks, put a chunk of sod in to keep them busy, and all has quieted down again- so far everyone is getting along.

I noticed Lily has been getting her feathers in and grooming a lot. I know molting chickens don't like to be handled as their new feathers grow in, so my question is, do chicks get cranky when their feathers start coming in, like babies with their first teeth?

What a change a few weeks makes! Lily (from previous post) is maturing into one beautiful bird! She is intelligent, no longer pecking at her "sisters," and really gets along with both the 9-week old chicks as well as the 2-year old hens I had before. She has integrated into the existing flock with no issues. She is friendly, calm, and self confident enough to share food dishes with the older gals (the other 2 chicks are a little hesitant to do this yet). She has a sweet voice that almost sounds like she is singing.

I am enjoying watching her develop into a definite asset to my flock. I'll be excited to see her first egg!

What a change a few weeks makes! Lily (from previous post) is maturing into one beautiful bird! She is intelligent, no longer pecking at her "sisters," and really gets along with both the 9-week old chicks as well as the 2-year old hens I had before. She has integrated into the existing flock with no issues. She is friendly, calm, and self confident enough to share food dishes with the older gals (the other 2 chicks are a little hesitant to do this yet). She has a sweet voice that almost sounds like she is singing.

I am enjoying watching her develop into a definite asset to my flock. I'll be excited to see her first egg!
She sounds wonderful!

Hello! I am new to the Marans breed and seeking clarification on Splash Marans. Last summer I got “Blue Splash Marans” from Meyer Hatchery which I adore. I was looking into other breeders in search of higher quality chicks. I am confused now because I have seen both “Blue Splash Marans” as well as “Splash Copper Marans” are they one in the same? My original plan was to breed strictly splash Marans but now I’m worried they will eventually be diluted.

I currently breed Silverudds Blue in all colors; BBS. In order to get high contrast splash hens I can’t breed a splash to a splash. If “Blue Splash Marans” & “Splash Copper Marans” are in fact one in the same I think I will just add some Black & Blue Copper Marans to my pen of Splash.

Would love to hear any advice you may have! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom