Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

My first guess was that he had some cochin mixed in there somewhere. That thought came from looking at the feathering as well as his body shape and the shape of his tail. He sure looks like he's got some cochin in there somewhere. He has pretty nice coloring, though.

Quote:
He is huge - probably near 20 pounds. Lives in my back yard, along with a few others, and sleeps on my back steps which have to be hosed off each morning before I can walk outside. Eats all of the two Great Pyrenees' dog food.

And.....it was just for fun - he's pure Cochin - sure looks like a BCM doesn't he - just wish I had a gal for him and the other beautiful pure Cochin roos I have of other colors but, alas, no females.

Quote:
I don't know. I ordered an assorted pack of rare breed hatching eggs from SCBirdfarm and ended up with 4 beautiful Cochin roos - each a different color - but no females. I call him my black copper since unless I pay attention, he blends right in with them.

can someone help me with humidity I have 36 bcm eggs ready for lock down my bator has been around 45 to 50 humidity the hole time now its time for lock down should i turn it up and if so how high should i set the humidity i have a total of 86 bcm eggs left 2 batches 36 this week 50 for a new years hatch i am a first timer and cant wait tell next time in this batch for this week i started with 43 shipped bcm eggs for Wade Jeane line out of Alabama i candled on day 15 and 5 where clear and one had a blood ring so they are out i just dont know what i should do about humidity so many people have different ideals and i thought what better place to ask then a maran thread thanks for the help

Quote:
X2..
big_smile.png

Keara, I like your gff birds lets see more pics once they get settled in.. The OE pea comb is not a bad idea... I can make those..
smile.png
However I think I would want to just find Pure Marans with smaller combs or sports and work from their.. (Egg color!)

Well...
I will be hatching one less Marans around xmas... My spouse collected eggs today and grabbed oneg with an X on it from under the broody... It sat on the counter most of the day so I figured it cooled down to much to put back under her.. So we bagged it and cracked it.... Sure enough! a more than half developed embro... I think my hatch will be between xmas and new years.....
(Thats if we do not try and collect any more of her eggs....
hmm.png

On

Quote:
Next time just put it back and see. Once I moved a broody EE and her eggs, (cuz it was late winter and I wanted her to hatch in the coop). She didn't like the move and got off the nest about 24hrs, and it was cold out. I put the eggs back in the orginal spot (outside) and put her on it next evening. 4 days later she hatched 3 of the 4 eggs!

Back
Top Bottom