Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Bev, is this a wheaten Marans? Looks like a very happy hen! Do these guys ever go broody? If so, to what degree and what percentages? Thankx!

It's a silver blue duckwing. This is the first time I have posted a picture so no one was more surprised than me that it worked. Let's see if I can send more. The duckwings are a work in progress at the moment.

The Marans do go broody and are excellent mothers. I have five broodies at the moment and I think this one is also going broody, it's warm down here in Florida.

Bev

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
You are making me a happy, happy lady and I love what I'm seeing so far! Thank you, thank you! It really is hard to find anyone that is raising blue silver duckwings in anything.

Quote:
This batch is three weeks old as of yesterday. I have mentioned before how I sex them and it might sound like I'm a total kook..but I start with sexing by noise. The roos make a trilling noise...then I use all the other indicators like comb, wing feathers, toe color etc when possible to back up what I've been hearing. Its not perfect, but its always the way I was taught to start with and it serves me pretty well for the most part. There are the tricky ones...particularly this little one that says absolutely nothing...not even a peep...but I'll figure it out eventually haha
smile.png

Work is a super short shift today...4 hours..so I'll be back to play and take photos before long haha

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
You are making me a happy, happy lady and I love what I'm seeing so far! Thank you, thank you! It really is hard to find anyone that is raising blue silver duckwings in anything.

Hi

I am trying, there are a lot of aspects of the bird to get right.

Bev

Quote:
Oh, I was gonna ask really quick before I head out to work. On the main body color what are you looking for? Or is it made up of a composite of colors? Like a solid base color with flecking or etc over it?

Back
Top Bottom