Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Pink- I can't believe I am saying this but I think Lil Bill is a hair nicer than his Daddy and you know I LOVE Big Bill!!
droolin.gif
love.gif

Thanks Raven! I love Lil' Bill as much as I love his daddy and yes he is nicer than Bill....he has nicely feathered shanks, complete with feathers on the toe and a slightly longer back than Bill and most importantly.....he has a great amount of copper. Copper in Bill's offspring has been an battle because Bill is so dark. I've said this before and will say it again.....give me the dark over melanized birds over the overly red birds anytime.
smile.png

Quote:
Kim, In breeding the show poultry I just never believe in taking a step backward when it is not necessary. The genetic formulas only tell you what color you should get from breeding two chickens, there is no way they can tell you what the type and the entire package will be on the end product. Many year ago I studied the Mendel Theory before it ever became popular with chicken people, I studied it because it was a requirement.

By all means use all three of the colors in your Blue matings. Please keep a few of the splash female back as you will need them eventually. This discussion has me wanting to buy some splash Marans pullets and breed some Blue Copper Marans. I see no difference in breeding the Blue Copper Marans and breeding any other Blue chicken. So if anyone has splash females for sale contact me.

In the hatching eggs, 2 days from now are splash Marans eggs for sale snowbird

Quote:
Kim, In breeding the show poultry I just never believe in taking a step backward when it is not necessary. The genetic formulas only tell you what color you should get from breeding two chickens, there is no way they can tell you what the type and the entire package will be on the end product. Many year ago I studied the Mendel Theory before it ever became popular with chicken people, I studied it because it was a requirement.

By all means use all three of the colors in your Blue matings. Please keep a few of the splash female back as you will need them eventually. This discussion has me wanting to buy some splash Marans pullets and breed some Blue Copper Marans. I see no difference in breeding the Blue Copper Marans and breeding any other Blue chicken. So if anyone has splash females for sale contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Kim, I commented on the one a few pages back, I said I believe that you just had an uneven serrated comb and is a fault, nothing to keep from breeding him though unless you have something better. From memory I believe he either had a small twist or thumbprint also. Will look back and see if I can find the picture. I sure didn't see anything that would keep me from breeding him if I needed him in the breeding pen.

Well Don if you ever want any eggs from my Bill or Lil' Bill you just let me know.....I'm switching up pens this weekend and putting a Splash female in with Lil' Bill.
smile.png
I knew you wouldn't be able to keep away from the Blue Coppers forever. They are just to addicting.
big_smile.png

Good mornin all you marans folks. Finally back in the saddle again after big move to Pacific NW, have yet to move my birds due to heat/humidity in the midwest and am missing them terribly. What is life if Chickens aren't a part of?!!

Hi Kim, quick question are you going to the fiber show in Canby late sept? Think you have goats and was wonderin...may hit you up for some hatching eggs if that is a possibility.

Haven't been able to read posts for almost a month, so feel totally out of touch, but trying to catch up!

Quote:
Kim, I commented on the one a few pages back, I said I believe that you just had an uneven serrated comb and is a fault, nothing to keep from breeding him though unless you have something better. From memory I believe he either had a small twist or thumbprint also. Will look back and see if I can find the picture. I sure didn't see anything that would keep me from breeding him if I needed him in the breeding pen.

My bad....thanks.....I guess I just wasn't sure if you could the comb good enough so I figured with the close up that Debbi requested it might show better. Thanks again....he will go into a pen this weekend as well with some females.....now to figure out which girls I want to toss in with him. So many decisions.
smile.png

HI RUSTY!!!!!!!!!!!
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif
MUST SEE THOSE LITTLE SPLASH BEAUTIES AS SOON AS THEY GET HERE!!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi Risa!!!!!! Good to hear from you...was wondering how you were doing after the big move. I do have goats but they are not fiber goats and didn't know about the show in Canby....probably won't be going as we will still be pretty busy with work, but when I have eggs available I will certainly let everyone know. Egg production dropped off huge a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom