Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote: Yeah the spot is only a really good gauge at HATCH. You may have more pullets...but NOT ALL roos are this dramatic. Either that or I had a mostly pullet hatch (2 roos)
fl.gif

Hi all, Just an inquiring question. Since these females are from a single mating what would the difference be genetically. They all should be the same genetically I believe. It should not make much difference which to breed if one wanted to use one in a breeding program. #2-#4 the major discrepancy I see is the sweep of the back. #4 would be my pick if I was picking. They all appear to have white in the ear lobes and would be a deal breaker.

Just so everyone knows, a single mating does not result in offspring that are genetically identical. Siblings are not clones of each other. Each chick gets half of each parent's genes... for the most part randomly. Genes are in pairs (except the sex linked ones) in each parent, say like shoes, but the shoes are not always the same color. For a particular gene they could have one black shoe and one white shoe. They only pass one half of each pair they have to their offspring. So for a particular gene, one offspring can get the black shoe, the other the white shoe. There are dozens of gene pairs in chicken's chromozomes, each one passing only half on to the next generation. The chance of getting genetically identical offspring (I believe there is no such thing as identical twins in chickens) is very remote. The genes don't work all that differently than ours. Our kids are not all genetically the same.

Don, I agree that the genetic formulas are not the foundation of every breeders decision on what to cull. But I think it's helpful to at least point us in the right direction and show us what possibilities exist. Yes the Marans there are genetically more mixed up than the European ones, though I think some of the older lines are more sorted out now.

Last edited:
I wondered if he was one of yours. He is nice and better looking than my current Roos. I might just have to go pick him up!!;)

LOL......you better hurry and get him if you can, I have received some calls this week from other area breeders asking me if he came from me. He seems to be a pretty popular boy. ;)

If you do get him tell his owners I send huge hugs and hellos their way, they are GREAT folks! Oh and be sure to share him here with us, I would be thrilled to watch him continue to mature. :)

Just so everyone knows, a single mating does not result in offspring that are genetically identical. Siblings are not clones of each other. Each chick gets half of each parent's genes... for the most part randomly. Genes are in pairs (except the sex linked ones) in each parent, say like shoes, but the shoes are not always the same color. For a particular gene they could have one black shoe and one white shoe. They only pass one half of each pair they have to their offspring. So for a particular gene, one offspring can get the black shoe, the other the white shoe. There are dozens of gene pairs in chicken's chromozomes, each one passing only half on to the next generation. The chance of getting genetically identical offspring (I believe there is no such thing as identical twins in chickens) is very remote. The genes don't work all that differently than ours. Our kids are not all genetically the same.

Don, I agree that the genetic formulas are not the foundation of every breeders decision on what to cull. But I think it's helpful to at least point us in the right direction and show us what possibilities exist. Yes the Marans there are genetically more mixed up than the European ones, though I think some of the older lines are more sorted out now.
Hi Roger, In the old days I know a Gamefowl man that all of his cocks and stags would look Identical to each other. He used linebreeding and even some brother and sister. I would never recommend brother sister matings unless they were experienced poultry persons. From raising poultry all the years I do know that all the Mendel Theory does not work with the Marans in the USA because they are crossed with everything imaginable. I do believe it is possible to set a good line of Marans though if a person is capable of culling for a few years. I was trained at one time in the Genetic fourmula but I prefer to use the old timer way of doing things. We know that there is more than one way to do anything.

Hi Pink!

Yes Don I think for a good breeder it can be both a science and an art. For some more one than the other. I recall having this conversation before.
You're right, in some lines that are heavily line bred for a long time in a closed flock, the birds will be genetically and physically very close, like your bantam buff brahmas.

For me the genetic background helps me know which parent will give what traits to the next generation.
There are certain characteristics that cross to the opposite gender in the next generation, some that split evenly.
It helps me to know that because of this, I should only expect the cockerels or pullets to be right in certain single matings. No point in growing out junk if you know the genes aren't there.

I think it is a good goal for there to be some consistent lines that breed true, and I think it will be accomplished in part from old school experience combined with at least some background in genetics.

I've not been on the forum in a while, though I've still got a few Marans here, but have been busy with family things.
Is anyone else having white in tail and wing without the white fluff? I don't have any roosters with the white underfluff, but I do have a rooster with some white at the base of his top two sickle feathers in his tail. Has it been determined that good SOP cocks and pullets can be bred from the same pen? A couple years ago it was still debatable. I'm still inclined to think it will be difficult to breed for SOP without cock breeders and pullet breeders in separate pens, especially if folks are maintaining egg color.

Maybe in 10 years if we're back stateside, good Marans there will be as cookie cutter as your Gamefowl friend's birds. Maybe their breeding for SOP will still be only for those wanting to undertake a great challenge.

Miss you all!

Roger

Just a quick question, are all marans eggs the same color? i mean like do different color birds lay different color eggs? i bought some hatching eggs and two different color marans were included and one egg is MUCH lighter than the other. is it supposed to be that way?

Roger, I agree with you 100% that the BC will eventually have to be double mated to consistantly get good female and good male bred to the SOP. The genetic pool is just not here in the USA and the majority are breeding for egg color and could care less about the SOP. Good to see you on here.

Back
Top Bottom