1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by drom, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Hey congratulations [​IMG] That's great!!!
    Be sure to post some pictures of them them. Wheaten chicks are sooooo pretty.

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Quote:Congratulations!
    Tina

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I think the wheatens are very nice myself. In fact, I like wheatens in all the breeds. [​IMG]

I'll be taking new pics today. I'll try to get em posted in the next day or two. Stay Tuned!

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    My dad and I were flicking through some chick catalogs last night and he said, "we should get some cuckoo marans." I said OK! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Hey guys, I have a Marans that I bought from a woman that ordered a variety of breeds from a hatchery. She laid her first egg on Tuesday, second on Thursday, and one a day since. The eggs are tan [​IMG] not chocolate, though I was expecting that. They are DELICIOUS though! My question is, is this normal for a Marans? Could she be a barred rock? I don't have a picture of her yet, I will try to get one today. The reason I am thinking she is a different breed is not only because the eggs are very light (little lighter than even the grocery store eggs!) is because it seems like she is going to lay an egg every day now. These are our first chickens ever, so I don't know anything about the egg laying process. I thought that Marans are only supposed to lay 2-3 a week. Our girls are all very spoiled and feed the most nutritous diet, I am wondering if she is laying more because she is a very happy chicken???

6. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Are her legs white or yellow?

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Hatchery cuckoos will usually lay much lighter eggs than well-bred Marans. Also, hatcheries select for high egg production (the more eggs the hens produce, the more the hatchery can sell!). Unfortunately, hatchery cuckoos are ALSO sometimes mixed with barred rocks -- so it's hard to know whether you've got a purebred or not!

One clue can be the color of the legs. Do your birds have yellow legs, or white/pink?

8. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    Yellow, I am pretty sure. Now I have to look. I know the other day I was noticing my Buckeye has very bright yellow legs. Let me get back to you on that one.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  9. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Ah, there you have it; Barred Rock.
    That is, if the legs are yellow.

The good news is, they are wonderful birds. My BR lays an egg every day and has done that straight through the winter.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. rebecca10782

Apr 24, 2008
    I really can't be sure now, sorry. I think I was remember my buckeyes legs. But when I go out there, I will know by the color of her legs which is good [​IMG] It really doesn't matter, but I was expecting darker eggs. Hcammack has hatchery Marans and they are pretty dark. I couldn't believe how light her first egg was. She has turned into a sweetheart now that she is laying. When do they start to sit on the eggs. She hasn't sat on one yet. Does this come wiht time? Or does it mean she will never be broody?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by