Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yes, the first few eggs may not show the full potential. Her "paint sprayer" may not be fully functional yet. So don't give up yet! Besides, they will be the best tasting eggs you have ever eaten even if they are light!

so, the eggs actually taste different. I did not know that. I had heard something about if the hen is stressed she may not lay as dark an egg, but my birds are spoiled. I have both bc marans and french blue splash and each have their own pen which in turn is separate from my other chickens. Kind of like separate communities. Yeah, it takes longer to feed and water, but that is half the fun.

Last edited:
Quote:
I work with a guy who has a sister that provides him with farm fresh eggs for free. I gave him a batch of mine to try and now he wants to buy from me. He said they are indeed that much better than those "regular" eggs he gets from his sister.

Smooth, creamy, not strong, melt in your mouth like butter!

Last edited:
Someone told me that the feathered shanks were doninant but I an not finding that to be true. In my flock all of my blue splash marans have feathered shanks and my black coppers do not. I am ending up with mostly nonfeathered shanks on my chicks. The black copper roos are more dominant than the blue splash roos and do most of the breeding. Can anyone explain please.

21 out of 30 eggs hatched and some still going.

Tim~

Feathered shanks are one of the easiest traits to breed back in with the Marans when you consider all other things with these birds that are being worked on.

In my experience I have had better luck using a feather legged roo over a clean legged hen.

Can you pull the Black Copper roos from the flock for a while and do some test hatching to see if the feather legged Splash roos help improve the leg feathering?

Did your Splash Marans come from copper parents?

Here is a picture of my cuckoo marans eggs. These are the clean shank ones. They are a shade or two darker than my feather shank ones,but I'm working on them. I have 49 eggs in the bater (day 19), so I'm hoping to post baby pictures soon.

025.jpg

Quote:
They are gorgeous!!!!
droolin.gif

I looked on this thread hoping to get a quick answer . . . what age do FBCM get the copper around the neck? (female)

Quote:
They are gorgeous!!!!
droolin.gif

I looked on this thread hoping to get a quick answer . . . what age do FBCM get the copper around the neck? (female)

It can take them several months. I've had boys that start to show it very early like as soon as they start to feather out and then I've had cockerals that remained black for months (like 6 or more) and then slowly over time coppered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom