Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks! No that's not Charmin...lol the first one is Isabelle and the second photo is her sister #5 (no name yet). Their other sister #4 doesn't have as much copper as they do but she has fantastic type and lays the darkest egg in that coop.
smile.png

CP~

I just tell myself that they are color blind and they don't mind the color of their coops! I may have given them a choice had they been the ones building them and putting up fence.
lol.png
gig.gif
lol.png
gig.gif
Even funnier is when DH thought that he would offer his color choice...........again........he wasn't the one constructing them.......so PINK it was! The coop colors have finally grown on him.
lau.gif

Your coops are fun and funky...as all things chicken should be. I'm so impressed you've done them yourself
thumbsup.gif

i agree 100% , thats why i post everywere that my wheatens are a cross of presley /davis and how many generations away from the 2 breeders
origonal stock and also depends how selective people are .... out of around fifty first generation i will keep only 6 to 8 of the best and its up to the person to decide to live off of someones name

Quote:
I agree. By the time someone else breeds say a Davis stock with their own Davis stock and so on... They will develope different traits depending on each chicken. So, even though they are Davis stock, they may have no feathered shanks, or a squirrel tail or something that has changed.
So someone could actually breed their own traits/lines from Davis stock depending on how they match up the pairs. I know I wouldnt want a Davis roo with light Hackles. But that all goes back to the buyers responsibility to do their own homework about the seller and their stock no matter what "lines" they came from.

Just think about how many people could have toyed with a Davis Line before it actually gets to you....
wink.png

eta:
Besides, I want to be known for my own line...

Quote:
I agree. By the time someone else breeds say a Davis stock with their own Davis stock and so on... They will develope different traits depending on each chicken. So, even though they are Davis stock, they may have no feathered shanks, or a squirrel tail or something that has changed.
So someone could actually breed their own traits/lines from Davis stock depending on how they match up the pairs. I know I wouldnt want a Davis roo with light Hackles. But that all goes back to the buyers responsibility to do their own homework about the seller and their stock no matter what "lines" they came from.

Just think about how many people could have toyed with a Davis Line before it actually gets to you....
wink.png

eta:
Besides, I want to be known for my own line...

AGREED AGREED AGREED!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I have only see this done with Marans.
Oh boy I wish this wasn't so...but this is done with Welsummers, Ameraucana's, Salmon Faverolles, Barnevelders and many others. I've also noticed this in the duck and goose world as well.

Haha, there are so many people who sell "Davis" or "Jeane" birds who are far from the originals chosen and bred by the breeders themselves. Especially Wade Jeane.
wink.png

And then there's the people who try and put their own name on their Marans lines, even though it is obvious they've only had Marans for about a year or less.
roll.png

To answer Bravo:

When they very first copper out, yes, it can get darker and more "copper" than that. But as far as my experience goes, once the bird has the color for more than 2 months, it isn't going to change much. I too have a cockerel who has hackles that aren't the red hue I'm looking for, but luckily they aren't completely straw-colored either. He's still really young, and has some maturing to do, but I feel your curiousity.
wink.png

To all hatches:
celebrate.gif
congrats and good luck

To 60ACRES: Gorgeous hen.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks Illia. Right now he is all black and just starting to break color at the base of the feather shaft. I am really hoping it darkens.

Guess I am going to hold him for a while longer
smile.png

i saw a year ago on backwoods site saying that the presley line (budy henery ) wheaten marans came from a sport from the kellerman line but i cant remember the color but it wasnt a bc , it was something else ..... but yesterday
read on a popular marans site they came
from a black copper sport , so my question is were did buddy henery /persleyu get there wheaten start the answer would help for half of my stock . my next question is were did bev davis get her wheaten line ?.... trying to trace the history of the birds is like pulling teath

ah ,,,,,,,
just found the answer and its not a easy one to figure out...... """"The Cottage Hill Line of Wheaten Marans was developed by Cottage Hill Farm. Eggs imported from an unknown source resulted in the hatch of one male chick. This male was later crossed with a sport colored female produced from the Kellerman Line of Cuckoo Marans. This sport chick was the first known sport chick thrown from this line of Cuckoos. Cottage Hill Farm also took this male produced from imported eggs over females from the Ripley Line of Cuckoo Marans for a second female line that would improve the egg color of what is now the Cottage Hill Line of Wheaten Marans. This is the first time this information has ever been made public"""""""so what i read from this is a imported French egg hatched a wheaten male that was crossed with cuckoo sport hen ...... hummm...
im thinking

i asked this question on another web site to genetic genius guy David that wrote the book what could the cuckoo pattern have similar enough to cross to a wheaten if wheaten is the most recessive of colors ?or is a sport so much different geneticly form the cuckoo that it could of been a close match ?
i wish i knew more about the recent history of wheaten marans from other lines as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom