Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
28746_jul091_011.jpg
[/URL]

Our BCM that made it through the coon slaughter. I think she's a hen. What do you all think? She's about 8 weeks old or so.

Tara

Last edited:
I'll get pics soon but I had two marans hatches and... I have two marans.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
This time everything looked good had ten eggs going well. Yay, finally, right? Of course not. On day 14 I come in, in the evening just to glance at temps, this incubator is a dead on reliable bator, never needs fiddling. Glance at the readout - blink, double take, oh .... 134???

The thermometer's batteries must have croaked.... that happens then they read whacky. Yank the thermometers, start throwing in new batteries. Get it all put back together... 123 oh _____ oh no, oh darn.

Opened the door, sprayed the walls with cold water, tried to find why???? The fans have stopped, not one, both... huh? A short search beneath it finds them unplugged. A dog had been under there and unplugged them.

Long story, shortened. One hatched. All the others died either the day of the spike or shortly after, one almost made it. Well, that's two hatches of GCM with BC extras, where one of the extras has hatched. Now I have two BCs. I put this latest little fellow out with a broody in the flock, the other has a turkey poult buddy in the brooder in the kitchen...

I'd like better luck... Really. Man I had this hatch going GREAT.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

What's next for you? Plague? Locusts? Earthquake? J/K, lol. I think you are more than due for a turnaround in your luck. Keep yer' chin up and try again. I'm pullin' for ya'.

I'm figuring on forest fire or tornado, but earthquake wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I will persist. Dick Dickerson and Ione have wheatens and I may go that way in fall if my dental bills stop eating me alive. I'd rather have GCMs but Dick and Ione are in TN so no shipping. That's got to up the odds, right? Still the temp spike would have killed unshipped eggs as well... I think I'll just hope for good luck for a change.

Thanks for the encouragement it really does help.
hugs.gif

walkswithdog wooohh!!
barnie.gif
What luck sorry for you loss..
hugs.gif
It seems like you are waiting and waiting when you have a bad hatch I tried 2 batches of wheatens seemed like 1 really long hatch..
barnie.gif
Not even 1 chick...

Sorry about the bad hatch walkswithdog:(

I have tried a couple of batches under broodys and the first 3 chicks out of 12 eggs good colour 6-7 on the marans chart, second 2 chicks out of 3 poor egg colour about a 3-4, and my own eggs 0 chicks out of 9 set eggs colour 5-6 on the chart. They just seem that they dont want to hatch!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom