1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by celticfarmer, Dec 7, 2010.

1. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Anyone here eaten one of their marans?

Now I'm not asking this because I plan on doing it soon. However I am going to buckle down and focus on one breed and I will probably start in late winter here so the little buggers will be big enough to go outside when it gets nice out up here.

I really like the Marans eggs but I also like to have birds that get big enough to put on the table.

What are your thoughts?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Marans are nice meaty birds. They are heavier than they look. Skin is nice and white, and the meat is very tasty. You can achieve a nice sized bird(3-5 pounds) in 18-22 weeks, depending on sex. They are a good DP breed IMHO.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'll second that, they get really big. At least my Davis line birds do. The girls lay whopper sized eggs too, and I like that, but you can't keep ALL the roosters - so yeah, good dual purpose breed IMO. The only thing is though, if you are trying to select a breeding roo, everyone says to wait till they are around 6 months old before culling....by then they're gonna be a little older than we usually like to process them at.

But if you aren't trying to select a new breeder roo, then I guess that wouldn't be a problem

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:I would have to start at the beginning so I think I will probably end up with some less than idea older roos, but I've got a crock pot that works wonders for the older boys.

5. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    I processed a few at 6 months,but I didnt' know about letting them rest for 3 days before freezing,so that probably was the reason we couldn't chew them! LOL

6. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I processed two BCM roos at about 16wks. Good sized birds, easy to pluck, tasty! I like these birds as they are calm. They are a good dual bird!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    They are good eating birds.

Taste like chicken.

Good size, good qty of meat.

I have three that are nearing freezer camp now.

Good luck

8. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:That's a relief, I was afraid that since they are a french breed they would taste like snails.

[​IMG]

9. mamaof2

mamaof2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2010
    central Iowa
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm also narrowing down to Marans also. I've never had a problem as far as roo's being mean and they are friendly birds and go broodie. The meat is alittle darker, but very tasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by