#$&% marbles!

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
So when can I take the marbles out of the waterer safely? They're making it a royal pain to clean, and because the chicks feel safe standing IN the water now that it only wets their toes, I have to reach in and pull out, ahem, dirty marbles every day. Really pleasant.

They're 9 days old today, getting ALARMINGLY big, and very agile. They're also tough enough that they want to take me on, but a quick chest bump* has been taking care of that
smile.png
I know I've heard several people who don't bother to put the marbles in at all with standards, but those of you who do, when do you take them out?

(Perhaps ironically, I forgot to put them in at all until day 3
tongue.png
)

*OK, not a real chest bump, but a box on their chest with my knuckles knocks 'em on their tails and then they leave me be. If I chest bumped 'em for real, I can only imaging it resulting in a chick going sailing across the garage and bouncing off the wall. PEEEEeeeeeeeeeeTHUD! Size difference and all
wink.png

they could have come out already they should not drown, I have never used marbled for chooks and never had one drown, now quail they need them for sure
big_smile.png

I've never used marbles, but I have a chick waterer, and have always raised chickens, not game birds, etc. Take 'em out!
smile.png

I never heard of using marbles to water chicks. How do you do that?

I just use little chick waterers, and I stand them on flat boards so that they won't kick their litter into them.

Of course while I am away, they while away the lonely hours by picking up their litter, piece by piece, and dropping it into the waterer.
roll.png

So when I come back I have to clean them out.

Catherine

You just toss them in the pan, or the waterer base, or whatever, so that it's not deep enough for them to drown in. that and they're shiny, so the chicks like to peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom