March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Incubator No.2 is now going, and filled with Black Australorp and Blue Australorp eggs.

Attachments

• 20230302_AustralorpEggs.jpg
    20230302_AustralorpEggs.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1
Incubator No.2 is now going, and filled with Black Australorp and Blue Australorp eggs.
My last hatch, I had 3 hatch and 2 died shortly after. So my lonely chick needed a friend. I went to one of my friends and got 3 Black Australorps from her. I’m so happy about it! Even though none of mine were Black Australorps. I can’t wait to see your little ones! 😍😍

My chicks I have now will be 5 weeks old by the time these eggs hatch. I use a brooder plate so I don’t think there is a way to separate them in a way that will work and I’ll have to get another brooder plate.
Unless anyone has some ideas on a workaround.
Coops not done so not an option and temps are currently -11c overnight.
If the indoor space you are keeping your 5 week olds in is above 50 degrees, they should not need a heat plate anymore. You can use it with the new hatches, if you make a new brooder for them.

My chicks I have now will be 5 weeks old by the time these eggs hatch. I use a brooder plate so I don’t think there is a way to separate them in a way that will work and I’ll have to get another brooder plate.
It’s worth it to just get another if you are able to separate them. I wouldn’t put new babies with 5wo chicks. I would keep them on heat a tad bit longer if it were me.

I use a MHP, similar to brooder plate, and my chicks are normally off heat by around 4 weeks old. I think they get feathers and do better overall with not needing heat as long with brooder plate/ MHP than they do with a heat lamp. I would see how yours act with heat off and see if they really need it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom