March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I use a MHP, similar to brooder plate, and my chicks are normally off heat by around 4 weeks old. I think they get feathers and do better overall with not needing heat as long with brooder plate/ MHP than they do with a heat lamp. I would see how yours act with heat off and see if they really need it anymore.
Ok I was wondering about how they would do no heat. I’ll have to get a read on my temps in basement and go from there. I used an electric heat pad for my weak little chick so I have a small sized one. I’ll check out some MHP set ups.
Coop is close to done just need plywood on, hardware cloth on run. Frame is all ready to go. Just want some sun and no snow so I can get it on and paint asap until I can get siding on! Hoping spring temps cooperate with me!

Ok I was wondering about how they would do no heat. I’ll have to get a read on my temps in basement and go from there. I used an electric heat pad for my weak little chick so I have a small sized one. I’ll check out some MHP set ups.
Coop is close to done just need plywood on, hardware cloth on run. Frame is all ready to go. Just want some sun and no snow so I can get it on and paint asap until I can get siding on! Hoping spring temps cooperate with me!

Obviously, I live in a very different climate, but I routinely have 4-week-olds completely off heat even in temperatures down to the high 40's(F).

My Australorps and Australorp crosses are fast maturing, so that won't work for everyone. But it does work in my flock.

I should also note I was fully prepared that I would have to keep them in the house longer than normal hatching early and not fully prepared outside :)

I’m in Florida and brood outside so I’ve had them on heat as little as a week and longest is 5 weeks just bc of night temps dropping in late winter. They really are resilient things, but I will say most people think they’re fully feathered at 4 weeks and they just aren’t yet, so when it’s cold, I at least have it there for them and they can choose to use it or not. :) They seem to like the shelter as it gives them like a little home base, so I’ve left it in there with it unplugged as well.

Obviously, I live in a very different climate, but I routinely have 4-week-olds completely off heat even in temperatures down to the high 40's(F).

My Australorps and Australorp crosses are fast maturing, so that won't work for everyone. But it does work in my flock.
I've got two Australorps, such gentle spirits. I brought one up to the garage back in December. It was really cold and we've had a really wet winter this year - she molted to the degree I felt like she would freeze to death, plus she's at the low end of the pecking order. Brought a PP hen up to join her that was also a little puny. They each have a dog kennel in the garage. Everynight after we change the puppy pads, they hop in the kennel for bed. They also each lay their eggs there every day. When I come home from work, they run up to my car from wherever they are wanting a treat. I'm enjoying these two girls and their cute personalities, lol.

Boy this is taking fooorrreeever 🥴 my last hatch (which was my first time hatching ever) most of them pipped at night while I was sleeping so I only had to wait a few short hours after I woke up for chicks so this seems like a long wait this time haha!
Waking up to fluffy chicks is the best but knowing they’re pipping and zipping as I’m trying to go to sleep does not make for a good night’s rest! Lol

Back
Top Bottom