March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Well, we lost power here, and all my beautiful shipped eggs probably won’t make it. The incubator has gone down to 25 C… I kinda want to cry 😭

They might be ok! Hens get off the nest for periods of time when incubating their own.

Also the air temp will drop much faster than the inside of the egg. I suggest covering the incubator to help hold the remaining heat.

How long has the power been out? What day are your eggs on?

https://extension.psu.edu/programs/...ect-matter/incubation/in-case-of-power-outage

According to the Ring alarm, we lost power an hour ago, but could have been longer. I was sleeping, so I didn’t catch it right away 😭 i put some warm water bags on top and covered it with blankets. They were only on day 3
No, they ARE on day 3. I doubt the temperature got low enough nor for long enough before you caught it to cause any damage. That's still warmer than room temperature, eh? Remember, broody hens get off their nests a couple of times a day for a good while, to eat, drink and poop. Is the power back up yet?

Ok so maybe it’s not over yet…the power just came back on !!! 🙏 the eggs were still warm to the touch, and like you guys said, broodies get off the nest…

Maybe I overreacted. Nothing like a little 2 am drama 😅 my son started crying about his birthday eggs, so that didn’t help things…

This might be the final push to invest in a generator lol Husband has been talking about getting one for years but we keep putting it off. We lose power for a little while, it comes back, and we forget about it…🤷‍♀️ oops.

Ok so maybe it’s not over yet…the power just came back on !!! 🙏 the eggs were still warm to the touch, and like you guys said, broodies get off the nest…

Maybe I overreacted. Nothing like a little 2 am drama 😅 my son started crying about his birthday eggs, so that didn’t help things…

This might be the final push to invest in a generator lol Husband has been talking about getting one for years but we keep putting it off. We lose power for a little while, it comes back, and we forget about it…🤷‍♀️ oops.
Completely understandable! Shipped eggs are so stressful. I think you'll still get a hatch though.

As an alternative to a generator, I plug my incubator into a backup UPS (like what you'd plug your desktop computer into). It's gotten my hatches through a few power outages without interruption. Also handy to have a way to charge our cell phones!

I bet the eggs are just fine. Heck my broody would like to get off and then come back to the wrong nest every now and then so would be off for an hour or two at times. Babies were just fine. And since it is so early I am betting no harm done (fingers crossed at least) but I can only imagine how stressful!!!!!

We lost it my last hatch but it was only for like 20-30 min I think but I was at work and was soooooo nervous and asked my husband (who was home) to throw a blanket or towel etc over it and he never saw my message so it wasn't done.......

I'd like to join in as well. It'll be my first hatch-a-long. :love I bought two more incubators and setup yesterday with a total of 44 eggs total. I believe a March 11 hatch. BCM's, cream legbars, opal legbars, blue cochin bantams, and olive eggers. Some are from my own flock, most are from a local, small farm near me. I'm using the NR360's and dry hatching.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_195553304.jpg
    PXL_20230218_195553304.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230218_203314877.jpg
    PXL_20230218_203314877.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 4
I'd like to join in as well. It'll be my first hatch-a-long. :love I bought two more incubators and setup yesterday with a total of 44 eggs total. I believe a March 11 hatch. BCM's, cream legbars, opal legbars, blue cochin bantams, and olive eggers. Some are from my own flock, most are from a local, small farm near me. I'm using the NR360's and dry hatching.
welcome! I can't wait to see them grow and all those babies!

Back
Top Bottom