March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I also just let my humidity drop to 30 in my incubator on day 13 because I was distracted with current chicks ugh. I went from confident to hot mess express in no time.
I totally get that- it’s like you’re running around like a chicken with, well, you know the rest 🤣 There are so many things going on when you have chicks to deal with and the incubator, too. Shake it off, I’m sending you positive vibes 🧘‍♀️

Yay! So cute! 22 chicks, wow that's a lot to handle. Crazy times! It is amazing how much dust they generate!

I have the same restrictions. I had 9 chicks (temporary doesn't count in chicken math, right?!) last fall plus 3 hens and that was plenty for me. Now that things have returned to normal I may have one over the line of 4 but I'm sure chicken math says that if they both have black heads they count as one hen.
Yes, only the new ones are in the house. The other 2 hatches have been moved outside for some time. I'm trying to get them acclaimed with our pekin drake whos a jerk. I have 1 neighbor with 11 chickens and another with about 15 so I'm trying to keep up! 🤣

Woke up to 5 chicks in the incubator and another mid-zip!
1678623966375.jpeg

I need help everyone. One of my bantams wings is stuck down due to membrane fragments that are dried on the wing. Like glued down. She isn't fully dry/fluffed yet and still in the incubator. Do I need to help get her wing unstuck now or let her finish drying? She looks VERY frail even for a bantam. The right wing is stuck down but she flaps her left wing fine. What should I do??
PXL_20230312_132826853.jpg

I need help everyone. One of my bantams wings is stuck down due to membrane fragments that are dried on the wing. Like glued down. She isn't fully dry/fluffed yet and still in the incubator. Do I need to help get her wing unstuck now or let her finish drying? She looks VERY frail even for a bantam. The right wing is stuck down but she flaps her left wing fine. What should I do??
I'd get it off while she's still wet, even applying a warm, wet paper towel to that wing to soften it. You can wrap her up with it in a warm washcloth so she doesn't chill while it's soaking. Then peel it off, and pop her back into the incubator to dry off.

Back
Top Bottom