March 2023 hatch-a-long

I have one pip!!!!!!
That's awesome!

Nothing for me still and I'm sorta freaking out. I didn't see nearly as much movement when candling and I just used a food thermometer to check through one of the vent holes and I think my temp has been too low. They are definitely developing but I have to wonder if I damaged them to where they won't develop properly or fully. :( It was closer to 96 in both of them, which is just odd because I've never had it run that low with the numbers it reflects on the built-in thermometer. I normally have two additional thermometers in each one but they've apparently been misplaced since last summer, so I just had the one and I use it more for humidity. Totally forgot I had a magnetic one on the side of the fridge I could have been using to spot check at least! Really, really kicking myself as this was really the one chance I will have till fall. Hope I am worrying for nothing but typically I have one or three that hatch a day or two early, so I was fully expecting to see pips by now. I know they develop slower at lower temps that are still within incubation range, so maybe that's all this is. :barnie

I made the decision to open the egg up in question, in the air cell. I didn’t see any movement from her and I didn’t want her to explode on me or anything crazy. So anyway…she did pip internally and had plenty of room for air. She was fully developed. But she did break her yolk open.. so there wasn’t a single thing I could have done to help her.

11 chicks,

2 Dominant White -- Australorp X California White

2 blues
3 blacks
3 splash
and Saran, who is definitely Australorp x OE and *probably* blue but I'm not 100% sure.

there are 2 more xOEs and an Australorp x FCM -- but I can't tell them apart yet.

All chicks are clean-legged. There *might* be one with a pea comb and I *might* have seen a beard or two. I'll know more in a week.

IMG_20230316_105623638.jpg

11 chicks,

2 blues
3 blacks
3 splash
and Saran, who is definitely Australorp x OE and *probably* blue but I'm not 100% sure.

there are 2 more xOEs and an Australorp x FCM -- but I can't tell them apart yet.

All chicks are clean-legged. There *might* be one with a pea comb and I *might* have seen a beard or two. I'll know more in a week.

View attachment 3433236
What do the different combs look like at this age, I can't really see much of a difference on the ones I have.

11 chicks,

2 blues
3 blacks
3 splash

View attachment 3433236
I'm sure it said in another post lol but how many did you start with and how many went I to lockdown?

We have our first duck egg pip!
34253.jpeg

My son had a friend over and he helped collect eggs. I handed him 2 duck eggs and asked him to bring them inside. Do you know where that stinker put them? In the incubator! A child after my own heart. 🤣 I didn't really mean to do a staggered hatch but maybe it's meant to be with our pekin getting injured! There's nothing cuter than ducklings!

What do the different combs look like at this age, I can't really see much of a difference on the ones I have.

It's so hard to see them on new hatchlings!

Single combs are tiny rows of serrations -- most visible on the CW crosses.

Previous hatches have had rose combs, which are little flat spots.

I'm not sure about pea combs -- there are some chicks who don't seem to have a comb at all, which *might* be the pea combs.

I'm sure it said in another post lol but how many did you start with and how many went I to lockdown?

Um, I forget (checks notes).

28 eggs set (stacked in NR360).

18 after first candling with the clears pulled.

15 after second candling.

13 into lockdown.

11 hatched.

Fewer than I'd hoped, but not horrible.

Back
Top Bottom