March 2023 hatch-a-long

Last hatch for March and also this year went into lockdown. I had to take out 3 more eggs and so I am left with 41 Sulmtaler eggs. I am also hatching a bunch of black booted bantams for a friend. I didn't even count the eggs... but there are plenty. LOL

Even thought I did not manage to get my 100 chicks like I usually do, it will be ok. Probably plenty as the first large shows have been cancelled due to bird flu.

I lost 2 Augsburger chicks from my 2nd March hatch to unknown causes. And 4 Augsburger chicks went to their new home already. The first hatch chicks are doing really well and are getting so big. Definitely faster than I am used to. I had to change their marking rings quicker than I am used to.
Even though I did not get as many chicks I am really happy with their development.

880E1A2B-9D29-410B-9667-D2CB00ECE494.jpeg

My Dominique’s are hatching! I could end up with as many as 21, when it’s all said and done.

View attachment 3445651

My Dominique’s are hatching! I could end up with as many as 21, when it’s all said and done.

Dominiques have lovely personalities.

When I refocused my flock to have only one kind of brown layer the first family come to pick out some birds was homeschooling young kids so I grabbed my Dominique and told them "This is my friendliest hen." She's probably being spoiled rotten by those kids. :D

View attachment 3445654

I also have a broody mama on the nest. These should hatch in a couple of weeks.

Is she part of the Easter hatch-a-long?

It's been three weeks since they hatched. Here's some updated pics of them!

20230328_080134.jpg

As you can see, got a nice variety of colours so far.

20230328_080235.jpg

Obligatory fluffy butt shot!

20230328_080243.jpg

Chick on the left has feathers coming in at all angles. Is that frizzle?

20230328_080317.jpg

Love the pattern on this one! Hopefully, it keeps something similar!

20230328_080459.jpg

And finally, look at this beauty!!!

Can you tell you pullet vs cockerel chicks apart? I saw something where the lady was saying that barred chick females have a more defined head spot and males are lighter and have a longer and more diffused spot. Do you see that with Dominiques?
It is possible, yes. I’m not great with the head spot method per se, but I can tell by the shade of their beak and legs. I think that the male and female chicks have a different overall look from each other. Males being lighter in coloration than the females.

Back
Top Bottom