MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son called to tell me I have 4 pips!!!! And the one remaining polish egg is one of them!!!!
wee.gif

My staggered hatch, due yesterday, is a goner. I was supposed to have 3 Brahma x EE and 1 New Hampshire - None pipped, even this morning, and the temp shot up so I just gave up. . . I opened each egg, and found that most were dead, one was alive but still had veining and a yolk sac
hit.gif
- I had to get an axe or something, the poor thing couldn't even peep, but was trying. . .

And my "New Hampshire Red" - Was already tainted by our Easter Egger roo. The chick had a pea comb, green feet, and black down. In fact, NONE of the chicks had feathered shanks and they all were black.
idunno.gif
And I know these eggs weren't Wyandotte - My last faliure of a Wyandotte x EE egg had a black and golden chick in it.

Soo. . . . On to April Hatch A-Long.

As a note, this is my second Little Giant incubation that has failed entirely. I'm thinking I should get a fan for it or not even bother, and just save my remaning eggs for when I get another Hovabator.

I've had the same problem with my LG. Sorry to hear about your chick's. I finally resorted to buying a Hovabator with fan. Out of two LG hatches with 12 egg's each all from my chickens so no shipping problem I have had one hatch the others are viable egg's but die somewhere along the line a lot are fully developed and die within the last 3 days it is so sad. Hope you get a Hova Bator and have better luck.
fl.gif

Quote:
Not really sure. I mean, we already have one - But we like to hatch a LOT of eggs at once right now.
lol.png
So of course, the least important or expensive ones go in the LG. . . And sadly for the moment I'm terrified of putting any more in there for the April hatching.

Sorry about your failed hatch, Illia.
hugs.gif

I'm expecting a hatch Thurs night
fl.gif

I have a question on the day-count. I set my eggs (FBCM, CM, others) on March 4 at 7pm (Thursday) so I think I should be in lockdown now, but I was planning on that being tonight. But I keep going back and counting and it's confusing me. So if things go exactly by the book and they hatch at exactly 21 days, that would make the expected hatch for the 25th at 7pm, right? and if so, my lockdown should technically start last night the 21st at 7pm. I'm not terribly concerned, as I counted the exact same way with my last hatch and they all made it, but now the particulars are bugging me and I just want to know. I could open up and turn one more time and double check all water troughs, or just leave everything alone and wait.

I did candle a few this morning. the only thing I could see in the darkest eggs is the air cell and the rest is dark.. I assume that's a whole chick fl In the lighter eggs I did see movement in some of them! These last few days are hard to wait through!!

2 Marans hatched no other sounds from the rest of the Marans, one of the Bantam welsummers is chirping so hopefully by tomorrow it will be out.

003-3.jpg
smile.png

Illia I am sorry to hear about your hatch. I am thinkin I may be following in your footsteps though. I had 9 eggs go into lockdown - 7 pm tonight is the end of day 22. Yesterday two hatched and 4 pipped around 3pm. This morning they were still the same, no further pipping, no more hatched. And here I sit at work wondering if any more made it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom