Mareck's vaccine question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebright guy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Does anyone vaccinate there small chicks with vaccine? I am hoping to do it when i hatch in january.
    I would only sometimes hatch 4 chicks in a week.
    I understand the vaccine come in an ice form?
    Is there anyway i can save it on just a few chicks and then have to throw the rest of the vaccine away? I read it is only supposed to be thawed once then it is no good.
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thankyou

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    The only one I am familiar with that can be done at home is the Fort Dodge one, you can order it from Jeffers Supply, but it is better to find it locally at a well stocked feed store- as then you do not have to pay for a shipping cooler- which costs more than the vaccine itself. It DOES have to stay refrigerated, but it is not frozen. It also needs to be reconstituted (powder mixed with a solution) right before using. Once reconstituted- it is not good for very long, and what you don't use in a few hours needs to be thrown away. I know of some people who divide up the powder wafer, and divide the diluent, so they can stretch out the vaccine (the bottle has enough for 1000 birds- it is made for hatcheries)- but I don't do that- to much of a pain in the * and I don't have the means to keep the powder sterile, and the bottle only costs about 10$. Then again, I don't hatch out 4 chicks. I like to at least fill half of my little Hova Bator when I incubate.

3. demikitten

demikitten Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2015
    First State Vet Supply will send you stuff to separate it, but unless you're hatching 200 at once, you still waste a little. But better than the whole bottle. The vaccine is a pain, but well with it. Marecks can wipe out a whole flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by