MAREK’S and selling eggs?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Hi all! So, while not 100% confirmed, I’m 99.999% sure I have Marek’s in my flock. I have done soooo much reading on the topic, from many sources. Everything says that it does NOT pass through eggs.

My question is, is it still possible to sell hatching eggs? Or even eggs for eating?? If I were to wash/sanitize all the eggs as well as the container I keep them in, is it safe to sell them? One of my chicken-rearing dreams (wayyyy down the line) was to eventually breed my rare/heritage breeds and sell the chicks. I obviously can’t sell chicks anymore, unless to another Marek’s positive flock, or if I somehow am able to 100% rule out Marek’s (which from what I’ve researched isn’t really possible due to possibilities of false negatives, faulty testing procedures, etc. One source (Merck) even stated that every single flock is presumed to be infected, just that many are resistant enough that there are never any symptoms/deaths! WHAT!?) But after reading that it doesn’t pass on through the eggs, I’m curious if there’s still a chance to pass on my beautiful birds’ genes to others. Assuming they even make it long enough to breed them, that is. I figure any that do would have the added benefit of being resistant.

I would NEVER want to put another flock at risk, but I do want to know if this is possible and SAFE to do, without risking spreading it.

There's no problem to sell eggs if you sanitize them. You can still sell chicks. But they need to be hatched in incubator and are isolated from the virus. You will need to change your cloths and disinfect everything before you go to the chicks. I do it for my chicks under 3 week old. I don't sell chicks, but all my chicks are vaccinated and need to be isolated from the virus before vaccination works.

There's no problem to sell eggs if you sanitize them. You can still sell chicks. But they need to be hatched in incubator and are isolated from the virus. You will need to change your cloths and disinfect everything before you go to the chicks. I do it for my chicks under 3 week old. I don't sell chicks, but all my chicks are vaccinated and need to be isolated from the virus before vaccination works.
Do you vaccinate them yourself?? Is it hard to do? Its definitely something I’m looking into for the future, as I will eventually need to replenish my flock. Ideally I’d like to be able to hatch from my own flock as opposed to bringing in more from a hatchery or breeder that vaccinates. But I’m not sure I can do it properly by myself, and that defeats the puprose if they’re still at risk from a faulty vaccine.

Do you vaccinate them yourself?? Is it hard to do? Its definitely something I’m looking into for the future, as I will eventually need to replenish my flock. Ideally I’d like to be able to hatch from my own flock as opposed to bringing in more from a hatchery or breeder that vaccinates. But I’m not sure I can do it properly by myself, and that defeats the puprose if they’re still at risk from a faulty vaccine.
No, I don't vaccinate my chicks. I don't have a rooster. I got my chicks from a breeder who vaccinates his chicks. It shouldn't be very hard. He has very good information about how to vaccinate chicks here:

http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=blog:vaccinating

Back
Top Bottom