Hen losing weight, vet stumped and so am I. Marek’s?

She and my other girls were eating Scratch and Peck organic pellets (the ones made with black soldier fly larvae). She also got a little scratch (Nature’s Best) but not daily, a few dried black soldier fly larvae most days, and sometimes fruit/veg. The flock mainly eats their feed. When she lost weight and started to become anorexic, the vet told me to try anything. I tried meat baby food, baby rice cereal, cooked oatmeal, apples, cooked peas and carrots, and scrambled eggs. She ate a little of each at first. Then, for a few days, she wouldn’t eat anything except the larvae and apples. Then she quit eating those, too. She continued to drink water daily and stayed hydrated. Today, after having that tube feeding at the vet on Wednesday (Kaytee Exact), she’s eating a little of the Exact, a little of that with Nature’s Best all flock crumbles mixed in, watermelon when I offer it, and her own poop.
What protein is that feed? Scratch and peck is what I call a boutique feed, it's just basic nutrition at a premium price.

What protein is that feed? Scratch and peck is what I call a boutique feed, it's just basic nutrition at a premium price.
I agree with you and actually plan to switch. :) It’s 16%. Now that all but one of my 6 have stopped laying for the molt/winter season, I figured I would try switching to something with more protein (continuing to offer free choice oyster shell). What do you feed or recommend?

I agree with you and actually plan to switch. :) It’s 16%. Now that all but one of my 6 have stopped laying for the molt/winter season, I figured I would try switching to something with more protein (continuing to offer free choice oyster shell). What do you feed or recommend?
I'd find a feed with atleast 17% protein, you'll usually see 18%-20% sold as layer or an all flock type feed.
I use nutrena, country companion, Purina etc, whatever I can get my hands on that fits what I need.

2.5-year-old Ameraucana

Staring at the time of a hard molt (approx. 4 weeks ago), increasing inappetence, ongoing weight loss, increasing lethargy, crop never totally empties but is not large, poop variable: often watery, sometimes with green bits, sometimes yellowish, then more normal-looking after a single tube feeding at vet

Vet did see what she thought might be an ovarian cyst on x-ray but doesn’t think it is causing symptoms.

While declining, her feathers continue to come in beautifully.
On average it takes about 7-8weeks for molting - start to finish.

While declining, her feathers continue to come in beautifully. If her feathers are coming in nicely, she's not in decline - she's just molting and feeling a bit poorly droopy and off like a lot of hens feel during molt.

Over the years, I've had some that when in molt looked to feel so sorry for themselves that I didn't know if they'd make it. They did.
They can go off feed, not eat/drink much and sure don't like to be near the other birds or be handled.
I'd focus on providing her normal feed, see that she's staying hydrated.

Do address the never emptying crop, stir some coconut oil into her feed or just feed her 1tsp of coconut oil chunks 2X a day. Provide grit free choice.

While declining, her feathers continue to come in beautifully. If her feathers are coming in nicely, she's not in decline - she's just molting and feeling a bit poorly droopy and off like a lot of hens feel during molt.

Over the years, I've had some that when in molt looked to feel so sorry for themselves that I didn't know if they'd make it. They did.
They can go off feed, not eat/drink much and sure don't like to be near the other birds or be handled.

Do address the never emptying crop, stir some coconut oil into her feed or just feed her 1tsp of coconut oil chunks 2X a day. Provide grit free choice.
Will do, and thank you! Makes sense about the feathers. I thought same—that it seemed unlikely for a declining/dying bird to continue to grow all those feathers back. Glad to hear you say that.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post! I really appreciate the guidance. I’ve learned so much from this group since starting my chicken journey. :)

Update:
Sunny had some very normal-looking poop last night. She appears to be feeling perky and has been pecking around her hospital crate. Same thing last night—lots of pecking. Naturally, the only thing she did NOT touch is her crumble (wet, dry, warm or even dolled up with the Kaytee Exact). I left her only the that for a while late yesterday, figuring she might go for it if it was the only option. I saw her pecking and scratching, so I went over to see, thinking she was finally consuming the crumble. Nope. She was happily scarfing down her own poop—and she continues to do this. Everything that comes out is going back in. She even opted to eat a ton of grit and oyster shell last night instead of the crumble. (Those have been available free choice all along.)

Eyeing her poop hungrily….
IMG_0575.jpeg

Will report back. Based on replies here and Sunny seeming to feel better over the last couple of days, I’m thinking maybe not Marek’s. That seems the zebra, and molting seems the horse.

Will do, and thank you! Makes sense about the feathers. I thought same—that it seemed unlikely for a declining/dying bird to continue to grow all those feathers back. Glad to hear you say that.

Also—the description of molting hens feeling sorry for themselves is so very apt. 😂 I’m pretty sure if they could complain to the management, they would.

Unless she is being bullied or picked on, she may be happier out with her flock. My molting hens may just lie around a lot, but they do seem to be more comfortable with the others around. Isolating her may cause a problem with the pecking order. Throw out some extra egg or canned tuna where she can get some.

Back
Top Bottom