Hen losing weight, vet stumped and so am I. Marek’s?

Unless she is being bullied or picked on, she may be happier out with her flock. My molting hens may just lie around a lot, but they do seem to be more comfortable with the others around. Isolating her may cause a problem with the pecking order. Throw out some extra egg or canned tuna where she can get some.
Thanks! She wouldn’t eat egg last time I offered it, but it’s been a week, so I’ll try that again. I haven’t tried tuna yet and will.

She’s been inside for about 3 weeks. When all this started, I had her outside in the run, enclosed in her own pen area because she was indeed getting picked—literally. No bullying, but at least one other hen started to pluck out her neck/chest feathers once she started to look like a ratty feather boa crossed with a pincushion. Then we had a crazy cold spell, and I brought her inside because she’d become thin, listless and pretty naked. I got her back out as soon as it warmed up a bit—but by then, even though it had only been three days, all her friends said they wanted to murder her. She also immediately started to scarf down wood shavings (even though she was refusing actual food). Decided to bring her back in until I could get some weight back on her, some feathers grew back, and I could get her to the vet for diagnostics to see if it was just the molt or something else. Luckily, she’s super social with me, so we hang out, and I think that helps curb the loneliness. I do want her back outside ASAP, but I know I’ll have to do a slow reintroduction.

On average it takes about 7-8weeks for molting - start to finish.

While declining, her feathers continue to come in beautifully. If her feathers are coming in nicely, she's not in decline - she's just molting and feeling a bit poorly droopy and off like a lot of hens feel during molt.

Over the years, I've had some that when in molt looked to feel so sorry for themselves that I didn't know if they'd make it. They did.
They can go off feed, not eat/drink much and sure don't like to be near the other birds or be handled.
I'd focus on providing her normal feed, see that she's staying hydrated.

Do address the never emptying crop, stir some coconut oil into her feed or just feed her 1tsp of coconut oil chunks 2X a day. Provide grit free choice.
Question about those hens who felt super sorry for themselves and seemed like they might not make it—but did. Did they make it with or without assistance?

After the vet tube fed Sunny Kaytee Exact, she seemed much improved. I don’t have the equipment or skill to tube feed her myself, but I have a follow-up vet appointment tomorrow. I could ask them to do it again, but it really stressed her out. Worth the stress if she’s still eating little (other than her poop) given that she’s lost so much weight—or no?

Question about those hens who felt super sorry for themselves and seemed like they might not make it—but did. Did they make it with or without assistance?
Most without any assistance, but I will direct dose them (if needed) with poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell (1cc per 3lbs of weight orally daily for 3 days).

I usually feed 20-22% protein feed year round so most of the time I don't give extra protein specifically unless the molting hen seems off her feed, then I'll take her aside and give some eggs or just cook up enough for everyone which usually works better. I don't separate out birds unless they are really getting picked on.

Molters seem to be fairly keen on greens, so I may finely chop up some greens and provide those (Kale, Spinach, Collards, etc.) If you don't want to chop, then bundle the greens and hang them so they have to nip of small pieces. Slow crop can also be seen in molters, very likely it's just due to them not eating/drinking as much a normal, do provide grit free choice.

Hopefully she's bounces pretty quickly out this.

Most without any assistance, but I will direct dose them (if needed) with poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell (1cc per 3lbs of weight orally daily for 3 days).

I usually feed 20-22% protein feed year round so most of the time I don't give extra protein specifically unless the molting hen seems off her feed, then I'll take her aside and give some eggs or just cook up enough for everyone which usually works better. I don't separate out birds unless they are really getting picked on.

Molters seem to be fairly keen on greens, so I may finely chop up some greens and provide those (Kale, Spinach, Collards, etc.) If you don't want to chop, then bundle the greens and hang them so they have to nip of small pieces. Slow crop can also be seen in molters, very likely it's just due to them not eating/drinking as much a normal, do provide grit free choice.

Thank you so much for all the helpful info! Great to know about the greens! I’ll chop some of and offer today. :)

Completely agree. I have many chickens acted sick during molting with much less food intake. When they get older, they seem doing worse during molting. For the few looked really bad, I offer oregano oil, probotics, and vitamins. I also notice that they loves leafy green when molting. But the ones couldn't survive molting always have other sickness.

I have Marek's in my flock, and I don't think this is the case. For older chickens with Marek's, they usually just waste away with some nerve issues, such as lost of balance, walking in circle, paralysis, etc. Their body will eventually stop process food even I tube fed them baby bird feed formula.

Completely agree. I have many chickens acted sick during molting with much less food intake. When they get older, they seem doing worse during molting. For the few looked really bad, I offer oregano oil, probotics, and vitamins. I also notice that they loves leafy green when molting. But the ones couldn't survive molting always have other sickness.

I have Marek's in my flock, and I don't think this is the case. For older chickens with Marek's, they usually just waste away with some nerve issues, such as lost of balance, walking in circle, paralysis, etc. Their body will eventually stop process food even I tube fed them baby bird feed formula.
Thank you for the reply and info! She’s now gaining weight—and she’s got zero apparent nerve issues.

Back
Top Bottom